Hello from KY (1986 C10 Custom Deluxe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blindbug

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 v8
Hello there, I just picked up a 1986 Chevy C10 Custom Deluxe with a 350 v8 swap and some very mild bolt on mods. Just want to say hi and give some background about myself.

I have been dreaming about an old truck (or car) for going on 15 years or more. I have always had an affinity towards GM Square Bodies since my father owns a 1986 GMC Sierra 1500 in black, which he has owned since 1986 and was his daily driver until just a few years ago when he switched to a new daily driver but kept old blackie. For nigh on 10 years I've been asking about the truck and when he was going to 'pass it on' so-to-speak, but I know that it will be pried from his cold dead hands.

For the last 5 or so years I've been putting a little money to the side and searching for an old truck. I had my eyes set on a 1986 or 1987 C10 or Sierra, a 1978 Scottsdale or Big Ten, or a 1964 C10 anything. I've went and looked at (2) trucks in the last 5 years before the one I bought, one of which was sold out from under me, the other of which the 'owner' didn't have a title.

That brings me to last week, when my brother (who knows my affection to the square bodies) messaged me with a picture of a facebook ad he had saw. It was a 1986 C10 Short Bed (one of my favorites), and from what I could tell it was nearly RUST FREE... which is hard to come by in the great state of Kentucky. I asked him to set up a meet time and the next morning I headed out on a 3 hour drive to see this thing, and hopefully finally satisfy this itch that I've had for so long.

I get there, and I'm greeted with 'there's a problem'... UH OH, here we go again! Turns out, the owner has misplaced the keys and we can't start it. While the owner is in the house looking for the keys, my brother, father and I inspect the truck to confirm it is rust free, with a 350 v8 (swapped from a 1975 C20 I believe) and meets all the qualifications I was looking for (rust free being a huge one).

At this point, I am ready to buy the truck IF we can start it. Even to the point that we thought of going into town and buying a new ignition switch to replace the one on the truck. But PRESTO, the owner emerged from the house with the fabled key. Put it in the ignition and it starts up on the first try!

Needless to say, it has issues. Power Steering Fluid has a leak somewhere, Oil leaks a little bit from some place, Radiator it apparently leaking somewhere, it needed an new battery and plenty of fluids and cleaner fluids. Yes, its a bit degraded, but the paint's original and there's no rust... and by george, it's MINE and I love it!

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome, good looking base you got there. Love them wheels. First thing I'd dump is that back bumper....lol

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome. Looks like a pretty solid truck. The issues you mentioned are all fairly minor. Should make a good truck.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site, nice truck love them slots, and I agree need to lose that back bumper..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome! It's a good looking truck, and it's a great feeling to finally get one. My dad had an '86 Jimmy, and I wanted one since I was little because I thought it was really cool so I feel you. If I were you, I'd get you some fluorescent leak detector dye and little UV flashlight if you're having trouble seeing the leaks and get to work on them so they don't mess you up down the road (figuratively and literally). Pour some in the power steering pump and in the oil, and see what you get. I more commonly see them liking to leak oil at the valve cover gaskets and leak power steering fluid around the o rings between the power steering lines and the Saginaw steering gearbox so you may want to start there. Power steering leaks are a pretty finite thing, but oil can leak from a lot of places. A radiator leak is a pretty sure thing, but I'd double check your lower hose just to be sure. If you have a factory cuprous radiator with a brass tank, I'd take it to a good radiator shop and have it cored and repaired. Those are excellent radiators. If it's an aluminum radiator with a plastic tank, I wouldn't worry about it as much, especially if there aren't good radiator shops near you, but if it's convenient, I'd still have it repaired if it works out cheaper than a new one.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle. You've got a good one to start with.

blindbug

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 v8
Thanks for or the kind welcome, fellas. I'm surprised at the response to the bumper, figured most would enjoy seeing stock OEM parts still in use. Myself, I really enjoy the look of a stock truck. For a long time I was a low rider kind of man, but the older I get the more I want to see an unmolested, but clean older vehicle driving down the road. I'd be interested to know what kind of bumper you'd recommend over the stock? I know that I do not want a roll pan, both from personal preference and because I'm only 5'6" so hopping up into the bed becomes an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion on the UV fluid, I didn't even know they made such a thing. The truck is dropped off at a really reliable shop right now and he is going to be checking spark and compression and a few other things. I also asked if he could identify where the leaks are occurring. If he doesn't come through on the latter, I'll give the UV fluid a shot.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Welcome aboard! Nice lookin truck to start out with. For me being from the north east as long as the body is in good shape I could care less about the rest! Where abouts in KY are you from? Me and the Mrs are planning a trip to the Daniel Boone forest to see the natural bridge and maybe look for a hunting property.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks for or the kind welcome, fellas. I'm surprised at the response to the bumper, figured most would enjoy seeing stock OEM parts still in use. Myself, I really enjoy the look of a stock truck. For a long time I was a low rider kind of man, but the older I get the more I want to see an unmolested, but clean older vehicle driving down the road. I'd be interested to know what kind of bumper you'd recommend over the stock? I know that I do not want a roll pan, both from personal preference and because I'm only 5'6" so hopping up into the bed becomes an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion on the UV fluid, I didn't even know they made such a thing. The truck is dropped off at a really reliable shop right now and he is going to be checking spark and compression and a few other things. I also asked if he could identify where the leaks are occurring. If he doesn't come through on the latter, I'll give the UV fluid a shot.

blindbug

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 v8
Welcome aboard! Nice lookin truck to start out with. For me being from the north east as long as the body is in good shape I could care less about the rest! Where abouts in KY are you from? Me and the Mrs are planning a trip to the Daniel Boone forest to see the natural bridge and maybe look for a hunting property.

I'm from east Kentucky originally, but have lived in Louisville for about half my life now. Daniel Boone Forest is just next to where I drove 3 hours to pick this truck up! Depending on season, there's plenty of places to hunt in east KY. However, you have to watch where you go, because some families get really angry if someone is hunting on (and even near) their property. I don't hunt myself, but I am the outlier in my family.

Off a 90's Blazer, possibly? I like the look of it, other than the black banding... just looks too modern for my tastes. I looked up a few bumpers similar to this, and really like the chrome sport bumpers of the era. After looking at your picture and then the picture of mine, I agree that yours does have an appeal that I like.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'm from east Kentucky originally, but have lived in Louisville for about half my life now. Daniel Boone Forest is just next to where I drove 3 hours to pick this truck up! Depending on season, there's plenty of places to hunt in east KY. However, you have to watch where you go, because some families get really angry if someone is hunting on (and even near) their property. I don't hunt myself, but I am the outlier in my family.

Off a 90's Blazer, possibly? I like the look of it, other than the black banding... just looks too modern for my tastes. I looked up a few bumpers similar to this, and really like the chrome sport bumpers of the era. After looking at your picture and then the picture of mine, I agree that yours does have an appeal that I like.
Mine is an 89 Blazer and I made my own mounts to put it where I wanted it, so its tucked in a bit more then where it should be. Not a fan of the rubber crap on it but it's what I came up with at the time.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Welcome to the site, don't mind HK, he's got a bumper(guard) fetish. I personally like the step bumpers (but that may be from slipping off the sport style and knockoing my knee a good one). Nothing better to start with than finding one as rust free as possible.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Lol. Those are grandpa bumpers......:bleh: and just because I am one don't mean I have to have one but bumper gaurds yes I need them.:sad72:

Last edited:

blindbug

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 v8
Mine is an 89 Blazer and I made my own mounts to put it where I wanted it, so its tucked in a bit more then where it should be. Not a fan of the rubber crap on it but it's what I came up with at the time.

I'm not a fan of the rubber, but I still like it. Definitely like that it's tucked a bit. I actually like roll pans a little bit, but want SOMETHING pushing out the back to put my foot onto. You ever thought about making a groove in the rubber guard and putting a strip of brushed aluminum in the groove, similar to the way the dash and door trim looks? Something similar to this: https://www.autopartsdb.net/assets/images/ProductImg/1/153425.JPG ? That would look sick! It would be some work, and people would be asking where you bought it constantly, but might be a good compromise if you really do dislike the rubber trim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad