hei Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Perry C

Reaction score
First Name
perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have a 1986 1/2 ton truck it has a 350 engine and it has the big hei distributor with vacumn advance it has the 3 wires that come out and plug into the cap but then it has 4 on the back side that plug in to a plug that goes into the firewall.
Any idea what they do? I know you unplug them and it wont start. Can you put a regular hei dist. in it and it work and run? Reason I ask is it will idle up at times and then back down. Put a vacumn gage on it and it shows late timing and when it idles up it"s normal and at times going down the road it seems like its missing and then it goes away. And it has no egr valve. somebody put an older 350 in it with non egr intake. Just didn't know if it has something controling the timing advance or what?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have a 1986 1/2 ton truck it has a 350 engine and it has the big hei distributor with vacumn advance it has the 3 wires that come out and plug into the cap but then it has 4 on the back side that plug in to a plug that goes into the firewall.
Any idea what they do? I know you unplug them and it wont start. Can you put a regular hei dist. in it and it work and run? Reason I ask is it will idle up at times and then back down. Put a vacumn gage on it and it shows late timing and when it idles up it"s normal and at times going down the road it seems like its missing and then it goes away. And it has no egr valve. somebody put an older 350 in it with non egr intake. Just didn't know if it has something controling the timing advance or what?

You have 4 wires out the back AND vac advance? Do you have a solenoid and throttle position sensor on the carburetor? May not be the dist.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You have 4 wires out the back AND vac advance? Do you have a solenoid and throttle position sensor on the carburetor? May not be the dist.

My '84 was set up like that too. Vacuum advance, ESC dizzy, and a standard Quadrajet.

I swapped a standard vacuum advance distributor into mine and it worked fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26