heater box issue please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok so i replaced my heater core the other night and it took me awhile to get that box apart as soon as i got it out i even broke some of it doh!!

My question is that rod that goes through the box that controls a luver and vent, when i removed that rod and then reinstaled it doesnt not have enough grip on it to turn that vent anymore.

How can i ffix this? maybe some glue or locktight

Attachments

• heaterbox1.jpg
    heaterbox1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 138
  • heaterbox2.jpg
    heaterbox2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 130
  • heaterbox3.jpg
    heaterbox3.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 125

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're talking about the plastic parts that the adujustable rod is threaded into right, better shown in Pic #2 ??? So you're dealing with a plastic part that is 26 years old, been exposed to lots of heat and cold. And then you removed the rod from the blend door right? I"m sure that is very brittle by now and lost it's strength. It's a clamp to the thread type part. The best way to install the part, is to pinch it where you want it, and push it thru the blend door lever and call it good, trying not to move it or handle it much little as possible. A bit late for that one now. I've got a couple air handler boxes here since I recently dealt with the same **** and ended up getting another box. I'll see if I can salvage these plastic parts off those boxes I have since it might be a hard part to find and send them to you if they still look like they can be of use. I know for a fact, I broke one of them. The part on the end, where the plastic snaps over the rod, not the one the clamps down around the rod. I"m assuming that's the one you need?

My other suggestion be, is if you can modify a small hose clamp with notches in it to get over the rod, and see if you can't get it around the plastic to clamp it tighter around the rod. Locktight prolly won't work since it's not metal to metal. Some kind of epoxy type glue may work, but I doubt something like a crazy glue would last long.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I was able to save one. Trick was, to go ahead and thread the rod all the way out of it, then collapse it and pull it thru the hole. That's also how you'd have to install it. Let me know if you need me to mail it out to you.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1022_22Stock 018.jpg
    1022_22Stock 018.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 186

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for your help!!! I'm goin to get some really good epoxy glue and try that!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks for your help!!! I'm goin to get some really good epoxy glue and try that!!

Give it a try if you want. If that's the part you need, I can get it in the mail today or tomorrow. I've got it laying here on my desk. Speak now or forever hold your peace, cuz if you wait, that thing will be buried so deep on my desk it'll never be found again.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i fixed it!!! went to napa and got some epoxy glue and put a dab of that in the end of where the rod goes..let it dry for 2 hrs and its good!:) thanks for all your guys help

Attachments

• heatersetup7.jpg
    heatersetup7.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 112

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I broke mine there too. That's why I went with a metal one from an 81 or older. They are metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast