Headlights go on and off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Ok I've replaced the sealed beams with halogen bulbs. Cleaned up all the wiring under the hood. New running lights and front blinkers housing and sockets. It takes a while before it goes out the first time. Then like you see in the video. I've been told I need a new alternator. I put new battery in too. Maybe avnew headlights switch in the dash? Any help would be appreciated.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
does it do it if you give it some juice to up RPM? that may help determine if it is the alternator. does anything else cut out? does wiggling the switch do anything? did you add relays to the system? maybe the switch is getting hot and it is on its way out?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Seems like grounds intermittently grounding. The rumble or the engine makes it do it maybe? Does it do it like in the video with engine off?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
On onother thought I've had weak relays come on and off like this once the relay heats up just like what I was seeing.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
It looks like the circuit breaker is triping, New bulbs or something may be drawing to many Amps. Could also be bad ground. Put Your old bulbs back in, See what it does.

Attachments

• cat in winnder 001.JPG
    cat in winnder 001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 35

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I just reread Your post, Did You replace all that stuff to find what is wrong or Because you wanted to update it? If You did it to find out what is wrong then I would be looking for a dead short Leave lights on and look for warm wires clear back to tail lights.

Attachments

• cat in winnder 001.JPG
    cat in winnder 001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 35

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
is there a circuit breaker on the headlights? I thought the only circuit breaker was for power windows?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
is there a circuit breaker on the headlights? I thought the only circuit breaker was for power windows?
I think there is, In a 73 at lease. Belive it is built in the headlight switch, You should be able to hear it click.

Attachments

• cat in winnder 001.JPG
    cat in winnder 001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 28

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
I agree with all above. grounds first, check alternator load and then headlight switch engine off. Then dimmer.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I think there is, In a 73 at lease. Belive it is built in the headlight switch, You should be able to hear it click.
you are right, integral to the switch it appears. it could be it is going bad or it is loading up with too much current from another issue in the wiring?

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I just reread Your post, Did You replace all that stuff to find what is wrong or Because you wanted to update it? If You did it to find out what is wrong then I would be looking for a dead short Leave lights on and look for warm wires clear back to tail lights.
In 46 years of trouble shooting low volage electrical problems, I have never seen a dead short that didn't either blow fuses, melt the fusible link, or burn wires. Dead shorts are the easiest to locate due to the trail of destruction they leave behind. The high resistance shorts are the hard ones to locate.

gweed

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I had the exact same issue. I have an 84 K5. Bought and installed the LMC truck kit. I also replaced the headlight switch, put the new halogen lights in and when running high beams my lights would flicker on and off and go out completely until I turned off the high beams. Its the thermal fuse in the headlight switch. The newer lights draw more amps. Your options are to put relays in for your lights so that your light switch does not draw too much current, or replace your high beams with LEDs as they draw less current. I kept my low beams halogen so that they will melt the snow and ice and put LED bulbs in the high beam lenses. Problem solved for me. I run a pretty stock alternator, have upgaded the big 3 wires and have a new battery. Battery, grounds and alternator had nothing to do with my issue. The headlight switch was the weak point in my system.

Shawn

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
It's done that since the day I bought it. Drove it home at night and got lucky I didn't get stopped. Had some friends that followed me. The battery wires were lose and thought that was it. But no. The po switched out front clip and added the suburban grill and lights. So I replaced the sealed beams with new ones and cleaned grounds. Still did it. Replaced the sealed beams with these from lmc. Cleaned up the shotty wire connections and added two new running light sockets too. Added a relay to have all four come on when I put them on Brite lights. Now it takes longer until they blink on and off. Then they do it consistently.

Also the po has put in a tilt colum with the hight beam switch on the blinker switch that you pull back on. There's a bunch of wires under there that I don't know what they go to. So that could be causing me trouble. My dome light doesn't work either. No dash lights. I'm not the best at wiring but better than the po. Lol

Buddy at work suggested alt. It checks 14.4v at battery running lights on. How do I check the amps it draws? I'm kinda thinking the light switch. But that's a guess because I've replaced all the lights and cleaned up the wires under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507