Headlight Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
went through the grounds that I could find... checked all fuses as they arent labeled and they all were good. I didnt think there was one for parking lights but I will look a bit deeper.... just wondering if that would control the dash lights too.

Yes, the dash lights feed through the parking light fuse first, then a lower amp fuse. This is a GM safety feature. No dash lights = no tail lights.

I have to ask, did you check the fuses with a test light or a meter, or did you just look at them? Test both sides of every fuse.

The dome light has it's own fuse.
ok so I removed the bulb under the dash by the 4wd shifter. now dome light works as it should but still no dash or running lights... just headlights

The dome/ foot light should have a 2 contact single filament bulb. If you removed a single contact bulb, that would have been your original dome light problem.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
would that make the dome lights act weird though? They were but once I pulled the bulb from the floor dome light they work as should
See if the bulb you pulled was the correct bulb. It could solve one of your mysteries.
I spent 2 whole afternoons trouble shooting dome/courtesy/cargo light issue.
And after verifying that literally everything was right (including replacing the door buttons which was needed and a new headlight switch that probably wasn’t necessary) I found the wrong bulb in the cargo light socket that was causing the intermittent issues that appeared to be a ground problem.
As far as the rest of your issue, start by checking power into and out of the headlight switch for the running lights. But I agree, if nothing works it’s more likely a ground problem ?

Beefcake35

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok. checked all the fuses with a meter and they checked out right. THen I moved to the switch to start checking voltage.going off this seems to be my problem. Red and white have voltage all the time and orange is quite a bit dimmer but has a little voltage. Looks like white should be ground. Should I just put a new ground to that and try it? Tracing that wire it looks like it goes into the door jamb and wouldnt know where that goes. Is that worth a shot? ah disregard. reading more and looking at mine this diagram doesnt match. need to do some more digging on a wiring diagram.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Beefcake35

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
another update. was messing in the fuse box and everything works now but now my dome lights quit. guess Ill let it sit for a while and see what happens

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I posted the dome light circuit wiring diagrams. Look in the interior or electrical forums.
White should go to the door jamb(s). Headlight switch and door jamb switches are what grounds out to activate the dome/courtesy lights.
Although I think all the white wires for that circuit terminate together under the dash at a common ground location.

Beefcake35

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I didnt realize the switch has to be mounted to the dash for a ground or something. Once I did that my dome lights are working again. Still dont know why this all happened and what made my dash and running lights start working again. Guess that will be a larger project checking the rest of the grounds and wires. Gotta love the old trucks... can at least work on them.
Thank you everyone for all your help! Love this forum!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loki1978