Headers for lowered 87

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherrow74

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have an 87 that I'm unsure of the drop on. It has been converted to carb and has older heads on it. It currently has a junk set of block hugger headers. I'm looking to upgrade to long tubes but dont know which ones to buy. Looking at hooker 2452hkr and I was wondering how low they hang as I dont have a whole lot of ground clearance. It's a 350 with a th400 trans.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have a small block 350, with tbi in my 84ish square (cab is an 87, bed is an 86). My header flanges lay on the pavement, then again the truck is bagged. I am not sure of the headers that I have. I bought them from my local hot rod/speed shop. Anyways...the flanges hang approximately 3 inches below the frame rails...very similar to the specs of the Hooker headers. I was able to install the headers without seperating the motor mounts. With the Hookers, you too should be able to mount them the same way. The only concern is clearance between the header and the inner part of the frame rail on the passenger side. I had to notch my frame about 1" in order to,keep the header from wearing through from vibration and normal movement. I was told that these unknown header are the same specs as Hookers in every way except price and that these headers were in stock when I was in the shop. Fwiw...you WILL NOT need a heater O2 sensor in the headers. I went through this and it made no difference. Dont waste your time and money installing the sensor.

Before my square was bagged, it had a 5 front 7 rear drop and with the headers installed, I had plenty enough clearance not to ever drag them...even on the occasional speed bump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising