head liner ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I have purchased an '82 1/2 ton long bed parts truck. It has a head liner that has no material of any kind on it but the pad is perfect. I am thinking of installing it in my truck but have never recovered one. Does anyone know how to do this or is there a thread here that I haven't found yet? I am open to suggestions and or ideas.:patriot:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The material has the padding made into it. So is it just the crumbly foamy part left?

Generally, you pull off the falling fabric, then the foam gets carefully scrubbed off with a stiff bristled brush until it's just a smooth backer board. Then the new headliner material gets glued on with spray adhesive. I like the 3M super 77.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Recently did this job (successfully). You can ignore the part about peeling off the old lining material from the shell.

The headliner on my 1986 GMC Sierra Classic looks like factory. Here's how I did it:

1. The molded backing board/shell (don't quote me on nomenclature) is the key to this whole repair and it cannot be in the vehicle to do this properly. Remove the pieces that support the headliner.

2. Peel the old headliner fabric (if it is still there) carefully away from the shell. If any pieces of the shell start to come off with the fabric separate them with a butter knife and set them aside. You can glue them back into their original positions with adhesive cement.

3. Step back and see what you have to work with. If you are lucky the fabric will have cleanly separated from the fiberglass shell. If not, that is why you so carefully saved those little chunks. Glue them back into place and let dry.

4.Get a shop-vac and a brand new toilet brush (toilet brush - not a wire brush). Get down on your hands and knees and start firmly - but gently - removing all of the failed adhesive. Don't worry if some of the shell carries away - it is actually better to get down to a new surface. After you are done scrubbing use the soft brush attachment for the vacuum and get all that old glue off. Then get your toilet brush back in hand and do it all over again, and again until you have a new surface to work with.

5. Go to the Home Depot and get a couple of cans of spray-on polyurethane and 4 cans of 3M Heavy Duty Adhesive - don't substitute on this. Oh yeah, also buy a paint roller and a nice fluffy cartridge.

6. Spray the newly cleaned shell with the polyurethane and let it dry overnight. In the AM you should find that you have a nice hard/firm/sturdy shell to work with.

7. I forgot to tell you that on the way home from Home Depot you should have gone to JoAnn Fabrics (plenty of stores in Colorado) and asked one of the ladies there to direct you to the headliner material. You also should have measured your shell or brought your old headliner fabric with you in a plastic bag. They at JA Fabrics will set you up a beautiful piece of foam backed headliner that is thick enough to hide any gouges you may have made during the cleaning process.

8. Back down on your hands and knees. Lay the new material out over the shell and trim to fit (leaving about two inches over on all sides.

9. You can guess the rest - read the instructions on the 3M adhesive can. I believe it will say to spray both surfaces and wait 30 minutes before joining. Use all 4 cans - it seems like a lot but trust me! When you are done spraying, it will look like a winter wonderland, but that's correct.

10. It really makes things go better if you have an assistant to help you when you go to join the material to the shell. Lay the fabric back down on the shell and get that new paint roller that I mentioned earlier. Get back down on your H&K's again. The, while gently tugging where needed, start rolling the fabric onto the shell. Work from the middle outward. If you get any wrinkles, don't stress, you will have time to lift up and relay the material.

11. Let it dry, do the final trimming of excess fabric and go hang in back up in the car.

One note; depending on the contours of your shell it may be prudent to place some folded up towels under certain areas of the shell so that when you roll the glue into the interface you can press down firmly.

This will work and you will not be able to take your eyes off of the wonderful job you did ( and keep showing people till they are sick of hearing about it). It will last for 20 years.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
A large body putty blade works great for scraping off the old foam too. I have a thread in here somewhere with pics.

HAZZARDJOHN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Also look into how much it costs to have it professionally done. I got a quote for $200 for my suburban's headliner the other day. My headliner isn't sagging yet, but it is doing that thing where anyone that touches it leaves a permanent distortion so I know it is not long for this world. I have to remove it to paint my truck anyway so I added it to the list. For $200 to get a professional result seems cheap to me. I bet a pickup would be a lot cheaper.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
chengny that makes most sense ! thanks for info. I did mine a few years back and it fell down like a week later( I thought to myself, what cheap ass 3m crap was that anyway? lol ) well I guess it wasn't the glue after all. yep spraying backer with glue and letting it sit over night makes a lot of sense. I never removed the old glue. one of several mistakes I guess. luckily my backer board is still in great shape just need to do it all over the right way again.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
6. Spray the newly cleaned shell with the polyurethane and let it dry overnight. In the AM you should find that you have a nice hard/firm/sturdy shell to work with.

I have recovered countless headliners over the years, but I have never heard of this step before. I've not had durability issues due to lack of prep, but I have had issues with the shell/backer board falling apart a few years later. What a wonderful idea!

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Thanks for the help guys. I checked out your thread 89 Suburban, you did an awesome job. I am thinking of putting a Coast Guard flag up there but will all that adhesive soak through the fabric of the flag and make it look like crap? Again thanks for the help.:patriot:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I am thinking of putting a Coast Guard flag up there but will all that adhesive soak through the fabric of the flag and make it look like crap?

I have no experience with adding an overlay to the headliner material but you could try this:

First apply the flag to some headliner material. Do this with the material and flag both laying flat on the floor.

Use the 3M Heavy Duty Adhesive and a paint roller as described above. The adhesive is not like a liquid by any means.

It kind of sprays out like that fake spider web stuff you see for Halloween decorating. If you let it get tacky before laminating the nylon flag to the headliner, there should not be any leak-through.

Let the bond set up and take a look at how it came out. You might have created an awesome custom headliner.

If so, apply the laminated material to the shell as above.

If it comes out crappy, all you've lost is a flag and $15 dollars worth of material.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Has anybody used a vinyl type material for the headliner? I've noticed that LMC sells a fabric or vinyl type. I'm thought that the vinyl would be a lot easier to clean and possibly less chance of falling down if the fabric comes loose from the foam backing?

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Has anybody used a vinyl type material for the headliner? I've noticed that LMC sells a fabric or vinyl type. I'm thought that the vinyl would be a lot easier to clean and possibly less chance of falling down if the fabric comes loose from the foam backing?

My first truck was a square and I had a local upholstery place install vinyl on the headliner seat and lower door panel carpet. The headliner held up great and it wasn't all that expensive. Of course that was about 18 yrs ago.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Thanks Chengny. Once again I'll be stepping into the unknown. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx