Head gasket symptoms.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My truck has recently started blowing white smoke on startup, and has developed a rough idle in the last few days. I need to k ow what symptoms go with a blown head gasket, and if that is what's going on, is this something a shade tree mechanic can tackle easily?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Could be intake gasket. Sounds more like an intake gasket with smoke on start up vs all the time

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Are you loosing coolant?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I would suggest borrowing a radiator pressure tester from Autozone or something. Just to see if you can stimulate a leak/see if you loose pressure while it's pumped up. Just to be safe, I'd look at the carpet, floor, and mats on your passenger side to see if they're damp or wet so you can rule out the heater core. My heater core's leaking on my Caprice, and it overheated as I pulled in my driveway today. I leave for school in less than 24 hours so I'm annoyed about that. Finally, I would borrow a combustion leak tester from an auto parts store. Like the pressure tester, you stick it in the radiator, but unlike the pressure tester, you do it with the car on. Just make sure if you do it to drain a good bit of coolant out of the radiator so you don't get coolant in the combustion leak detector. If you do, it'll contaminate the test. Finally, don't let it overheat while you have the cooling system open. It should show after a few minutes. If it doesn't change colors, you don't have exhaust getting into the cooling system.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It's got a relatively new heater core so I think I'm good there, but I'll double check. Thanks guys, now I have an idea of where to start.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Signs of steam vapor out of the tailpipe?.....radiator low, and running hot...then its the head gasket. My previous square (1978).....had those symptoms and swapping out the head gaskets AND head bolts fixed the issue. My leaking head gasket led to burning up coolant and not contaminating the oil

Last edited:

BR@NDON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Surburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My truck has recently started blowing white smoke on startup, and has developed a rough idle in the last few days. I need to k ow what symptoms go with a blown head gasket, and if that is what's going on, is this something a shade tree mechanic can tackle easily?

I wouldn't say head / intake gaskets are easy, but they are rather simple. Have a place to work that is clean and an area where you can lay all the accessories and parts down that you have to take off to get to the manifold and heads. And make sure you torque things up properly on re-assembly. A manual from Autozone or 'Reily's will walk you through the process.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I wouldn't say head / intake gaskets are easy, but they are rather simple. Have a place to work that is clean and an area where you can lay all the accessories and parts down that you have to take off to get to the manifold and heads. And make sure you torque things up properly on re-assembly. A manual from Autozone or 'Reily's will walk you through the process.
I have a Chilton manual and a torque wrench. And a dry shop to put the truck in. Dad mentioned having the heads checked while I have them off. And I'll go ahead and have valve seals done as well. Truck hasn't run hot, but I'm not 100% sure the temp gauge is accurate. The truck was run hot several years ago when the radiator busted, but hasn't overheated since according to the gauge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70meyers