Has anyone done the $50 Rustoleum Paint Job on their Square???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I did my 76 with rustoleum, Its one of those things that it had so many previous paint jobs and quite a bit of sinful bodywork that had been done years prior so for 16 year old me it was the best choice at the time. Never wet sanded, cut, or buffed it. I've washed the truck maybe twice since I painted it in May of 2017.

Right after I painted it, hadn't even got the trim on yet.
You must be registered for see images attach

At the ZipTie drags 3 months later.

Three coming up on three years.

After doing a little touch up on the bedside to fix the cracking that was occurring in the old, old paint so I could put my other lets boogie sticker on.

I should add that the truck has lived outside the entire time and driven year round and used as a truck.
Someone’s unimpressed.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I wouldn't be happy with that thing around my neck either. Lol

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I did my 76 with rustoleum, Its one of those things that it had so many previous paint jobs and quite a bit of sinful bodywork that had been done years prior so for 16 year old me it was the best choice at the time. Never wet sanded, cut, or buffed it. I've washed the truck maybe twice since I painted it in May of 2017.

Right after I painted it, hadn't even got the trim on yet.

At the ZipTie drags 3 months later.

Three coming up on three years.

After doing a little touch up on the bedside to fix the cracking that was occurring in the old, old paint so I could put my other lets boogie sticker on.

I should add that the truck has lived outside the entire time and driven year round and used as a truck.

at Gateway in 2017? I was there lol Probably saw your truck. I was camping down at the end of the track.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just curious to see some. For my 4x4's I can't see spending big bucks on a high quality paint job when I fully intend to have scratches and brush scrubs.

I was told this truck was rolled with thinned Rustoleum.

I have read a lot about it and watched videos. I would spray it if I did it. It works. Rust-Oleum is good stuff for the cost. It's all about prep. Wax the paint twice a year and I bet it would easily last 10 years

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've heard that too. I was told if you buff it out 2 or 3 months later and put a good coat of wax on it every year you can prevent that from happeneing. I've also heard if after a couple months you buff it out, then spray it with clear, you can also avoid that too. That's kinda why I started this thread. Was to see if anyone could verify these things I've heard.
You can buy single stage automotive paint on eBay for $100/ gallon. If your going to a bunch of trouble to do it right I would really consider spending a bit more on paint. I would spray it though. Screw what folks talk about with 7-8 coats wet sanded between. That said I know if you buff and wax it will look decent for years. It does get chalky. I have some that's stuck hard in a bushhog that I fixed years ago. I did almost no prep. Just wirewheel and glooped Rust-Oleum onto it. It sits in the weather and most of that paint is still tight after like 6 years. Not as shiney but I don't care.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've seen several YouTubes with the rattle can paint job.
As mentioned before put the time in to prep and after painting use 2k urethan clear coat. Also from a rattle can.
I have watched that one guy that does it all the time. He has some that are right years old. They look great he uses the spray 2x Rust-Oleum. And then 2k clear off Amazon. He ends up spending about $50 on spray cans and then $100 on the clear

Scotty D

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Bonanza Big10
Engine Size
A few years ago I got a deal on an F250 Superduty but it didn’t come with a bed, built a flatbed for it, and painted the bed with gloss black Rustoleum enamel, cut it 3:1 with reducer and added hardener from Rural King.
It is parked outside Year round, after 5 years it still carries a nice shine. Hasn’t flaked off or rubbed thru - not bad for an experiment.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
i did one on a 73 cj5. thinned it and sprayed it. biggest complaint was it does not resist uv well. It got chalky with age.

I will second that. My burb looked great when I painted it, but after a few years of sitting outside it looks like ass. Maybe if I ever waxed it the paint would've held up better, but in my head the idea of polishing/waxing spray paint seemed absurd to me.View media item 8447

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've shot many with lacquer, urethane, and hardened enamel.Saw the 50.00 easy roll on blah blah.It looked great so I tried it, for the time and money spent just shoot it yourself., your costs will be similiar but you will be way happier.As a matter of fact it's three years later my truck looks like ass and I now have to remove all the rustoleum and paint it right.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've shot many with lacquer, urethane, and hardened enamel.Saw the 50.00 easy roll on blah blah.It looked great so I tried it, for the time and money spent just shoot it yourself., your costs will be similiar but you will be way happier.As a matter of fact it's three years later my truck looks like ass and I now have to remove all the rustoleum and paint it right.
Not looking forward to doing that to mine... but yeah it's gotta happen.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will second that. My burb looked great when I painted it, but after a few years of sitting outside it looks like ass. Maybe if I ever waxed it the paint would've held up better, but in my head the idea of polishing/waxing spray paint seemed absurd to me.View media item 8447
Most of these folks are talking about the gallon cans of Rust-Oleum and reducing it and spraying with a HVLP gun not spray cans. That's the expensive way and doesn't yield as good of a coat of paint.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Tremclad, the Canadian Rust-Oleum. Probably comes in square spray cans.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I started cutting and buffing out some of this ****** paint.

Starting to look shiny (especially the hood).

Here's an area of shrinkage that came out looking kinds cool.

Also here's the '88 as well.

Pretty nice for a $300 truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike