Hacked up stereo opening repair - '81 Scottsdale C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk81

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I would like to install a "factory style" stereo, but the opening has been hacked for a single DIN. I saw the thread where you cut a piece from a donor truck and bolt it in, however, I seriously doubt finding one around here. Is there a kit Metra or some other manufacturer makes nowadays that will fix this? Should I just tap out and install a single DIN and be done with it? I really wanted the stock look if possible. Everything else for the system is installed. I just need to decide on the head unit. Any advice is appreciated.

mrghostwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/20
Engine Size
I had the same problem with my 83.
I noticed the edges for the dash were in such a way that by slicing out a section of dash from my parts truck I was able to replace a section of the old dash in such a way that it doesn't show the repair.

blk81

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I had the same problem with my 83.
I noticed the edges for the dash were in such a way that by slicing out a section of dash from my parts truck I was able to replace a section of the old dash in such a way that it doesn't show the repair.
And I guess this is the "meat" of my question/problem. I would prefer to repair it like you did, however, I doubt there are any donor trucks around here. The kits I've seen like the one listed above by TPISly-c10 basically fix the dash bezel that's been cut so it looks better, but what about the metal section of dash that has been cut out behind it? The nuts for the shaft knobs tighten to this, so in order for the radio to be secure, I would think you would need some metal there. I have a brand new dash bezel ready to install that's not modified, so no need to fix that.

blk81

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thank you for the link. Do you think this part would work to replace the metal section of dash that's been cut out? Maybe line this part up, drill it out and secure it with some machine screws/washers/nuts? I have a new dash bezel to replace the modified one that came in the truck. Whatever I end up doing, thank you all for the help. I'll post pictures of the process and finished product.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
look a this video :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

blk81

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
look a this video :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thank YOU! This will work! I just won't need the faceplate since the new dash bezel will cover the front. It's going to look just like I want it to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20