Gun vault dash.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WomenandthePolice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Char
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
All the wires to the switches are cut so not sure where anything goes.

WomenandthePolice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Char
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

WomenandthePolice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Char
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Got everything removed. Going to use die grinder with cut off wheel to cut the top out. There is not much material to cut outto remove the rest. Just noticed I'm going to have to drill Vin and rivet on new dash

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Is this an antenna that is inside the windshield? Ripping out dash now and found this. I saw the lines in the glass before but thought it was a defrost thing.

My 78 has the same anntena. Am/fm single speaker, works good for 40 years old!

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Why does it have two switches on the door pannel
Our 87 sunbird had that button and it was for the seat belt retractor system.That other little switch rusted out on my 77 k10 and I replaced them on both doors for about $10,maybe less. long ago.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks. Never seen an antenna like that before. Does it pick up stations any better than a regular antenna? Also have some more questions. What is this light go to, it's connected to ash tray with with wire but looks similar to the lights on the cluster?
You gotta see to flip your ashes

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Those switches in the door frame are for interior lights to come on when you open the door.

If your windshield is in good condition then hooking up the windshield antenna is simple and, in my experience, works just as well as an external antenna. Using what you already have is the easiest way to save money.

For Pete's sake, don't be that guy that leaves your rifle in a compartment that can easily be broken into. Gun owners get a bad enough rap for irresponsible acts like allowing their guns to be stolen out of their vehicles. Plus, it would really ruin your day to come out one morning and find your AR has been "liberated" by some crack head.

As mentioned before, you could replace the missing dash components since your dash doesn't appear to be cut up. DD quality parts can be had for much cheaper than brand new.

Check the "For Sale" forums on this and other sites and post in the "Parts Wanted" section and you'll be surprised what you can find for cheap.

If you are intent on building a custom dash then, by all means, go for it. Those pictures already posted look really good if you have the time and skills.

I'd think you'll want to look up the wiring diagrams posted elsewhere (sticky's) on this, and other sites.

Good luck with your build.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
FWIW, there's a guy on CK5 parting out an '87 with blue interior that has all the parts you need and also the wiring. Looks to be in really good condition. Just a thought if your looking to use one of those boxes that mount behind the seat (over the wheel well type.) It's in the "General Parts For Sale" section, about the second post down.

ETA: Just noticed he's already sold dash pad and cluster but cab wiring is still up for $50. First post, not second. That site always has a lot of stuff as does 67-72chevytrucks forum.

Just thought I'd add that.

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
NO, I don't think it is aftermarket, the K5's have that too. Pretty sure mine does too. I'll go check again real quick. It does look aftermarket and why I questioned it also, and pretty sure I remember seeing that.

It (second switch) is not on my 2 pickups...

WomenandthePolice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Char
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
It's out. Cutting was the easiest part. Working on a carboard templet now. I disconnect the windshield antenna bc the windshield is cracked. The top part of the dash is the hardest part to figureout.

WomenandthePolice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Char
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

WomenandthePolice