Ground Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DillyTheKid85

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Hello All, First time posting here. I just recently picked up my 88 Suburban, and I am currently trying to work out some electrical gremlins. When I bought the truck, the Horn Functioned Properly, the Radio worked, the cigarette lighter worked, and the interior lights kicked on when the door opened or the switch was turned. After driving it around for awhile, I put a tape in the deck just to test it out, and all hell broke loose. The cigarette lighter no longer works, the interior lights no longer work, the actual radio no longer works, and the horn no longer works. The radio will only work when the Cabin lights should be on (either by the switch, or having the doors open) or when the cigarette lighter is i the socket. I'm assuming the radio was grounded to the accessory circuit, but I'm not sure. Any possible causes/fixes? Anything helps! Thanks

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm sure you checked the fuses, right?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Grounds are very important in these trucks. Trace them and repair them and add some for good measure.

DillyTheKid85

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
I did check the fuses, I wish it was that easy lol. I will have to trace the grounds though, I'm not sure what else it could be. Thanks for the help guys

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Try this.... open the door, leave it open. .. then test radio, cig lighter etc

Correction:
Hmm.... I was thinking you may have wired into the courtesy wiring. ..but that prob. isn't the case if you have no interior lights working, even with door open anymore. Plus that wouldn't affect the horn circuit. I read the post too fast & skipped things. Sorry

I'd check for power at the fuse box then.... horn fuse should have power whether key is on or not, same with courtesy light fuse.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88SQDRW