Grille Color

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
So far, nothing in my “ Tool shed” uses the 7.62x39!

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Question: I am getting my grille stripe repainted while the roof is getting fixed. So, I figure now's a good time to restore my grille. I mean one busted tab and one crack at the top you can't even see, it's a no brainer. Funny thing is everyone says Argent Silver, but my grille appears darker. I wiped the dust off a protected section and it appears a lot darker to me vs. Argent. No signs of it having been painted either. I guess it could be a repop since it has speed clips and not the plastic inserts. Screws were correct though. Were there other grille colors in '84?
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The '83-'84 grilles were indeed a darker shade than argent silver. They were more of a graphite color. Also to note, it was just the higher trim level grilles, with the 4 headlights like yours.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
The '83-'84 grilles were indeed a darker shade than argent silver. They were more of a graphite color. Also to note, it was just the higher trim level grilles, with the 4 headlights like yours.
'83-'84 silverado grille was the best damn nose of all the square light trucks IMO. Quite nice looking being that darker shade and with the strip all the way across the middle

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm honored I think? So new rabbit hole I guess, as I need to find that color in a rattle can.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm honored I think? So new rabbit hole I guess, as I need to find that color in a rattle can.

Not just the correct color, but the correct amount of low gloss too. Lol, yep... rabbit hole.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

If you want it to last, find the color but not Homie Deport rattle can…IMO.
Fwiw, if you do end up going argent and are on the wet side in the near future, I have some quality base coat (Dodge Light driftwood metallic) that I painted a truck with and since then have used it as an argent color in multiple applications. I’ll give you some.
Example headlight buckets here. I did not clear them as they are basically junk anyway but they were painted black then blue then black again when we bought the 86. I sanded the peeling crap off of them and gave a quick coat of that silver just so they wouldn’t embarrass me driving it!

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
It is a little darker. Mine is a GM reproduction from LMC, very pleased. Had the center painted with the truck, favorite grill as well!

Attachments

• 8D948C38-FFFC-4C9C-B17F-25C7215E5F06.jpeg
    8D948C38-FFFC-4C9C-B17F-25C7215E5F06.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I always like the color of the 83-84 grills. I first found a vinyl for the center bar then found a paint to match. It's not totally correct for an '84, but close. I used Duplicolor Perfect Match Chrysler Charcoal Gray Metallic (AA9, PA9) #BC0331 and did not clear coat it. It has a semi matte finish.

Here's some different lighting photos of mine. the first and last pictures are about 3 years apart. The truck sits outside.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I think my grille must be a repop. No plastic inserts uses the speed clips instead and I realize I don't have the fancy brightwork on the edge of the grille either like some of you fellas do. I mean it looked fine to me and I only just now noticed it when looking back to match the paint. Hell anything is better than it was and this isn't going to Barrett-Jackson lol.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Not just the correct color, but the correct amount of low gloss too. Lol, yep... rabbit hole.
I bet this would get it done. I looked at some of the photos in the reviews and it looks real close. Question is, will it hold up with all the wind, heat and insects bashing into it?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I bet this would get it done. I looked at some of the photos in the reviews and it looks real close. Question is, will it hold up with all the wind, heat and insects bashing into it?

It should hold up about as well as any other rattle can paint, I would think. But I've never used their interior type stuff on an exterior.

SEM used to offer several different shades of bumper paint. There were various grays and silvers, to match the various colors used on the steel-bumpered Econolines, hard plastic bumper assemblies on assorted front drive Ford cars and also several different furrin' cars with non-body colored bumpers.

I have no idea if they still offer them though. My newest color chip chart from them is from 2009 I think.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
IMO SEM is about as good as it gets for rattle can products but I wouldn’t bet it will have great longevity in an exterior application if the vehicle lives out doors and is driven regularly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ