Grease on my front wheel??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

throttle out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
I just noticed the grease the other day on the driver side wheel lip. I've only put maybe 1000 miles on my 87 V10 since I did the LS swap at which time I completely went through the front Dana 44. The Warn's are no where near new, but function as they should.
I did notice that I can grab hold of the warn and move it around some, this concerned me and I unbolted it to see what was what. Everything seamed to be in good order, so I bolted it back up, made sure the bolts were good and tight, and it still moves a bit when you grab hold of it. The passenger side moves as well but not as much, and its not throwing grease.

Is this as simple as a new O-ring for the hub, or is something else happening?

I'm no expert on manual hubs, so any insight would be sweet!

Thanks!!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
For the reasons noted below; a new o-ring should make the hub cap feel tight again. And also stop any more of your grease from being spun out.

See this diagram for parts reference:

You must be registered for see images attach

Note that the 6 screws that go through the hub body only thread into the "hub clutch gear". The splines on the OD of the HCG are designed to be a fairly loose fit with the splines on the ID of the wheel hub.

Also, by necessity (so that the "clutch ring" can easily move in/out), the splines on the ID of the HCG are designed to have an even greater degree of clearance with the splines on the OD of the CR.

And finally, since the inner splines of the CR have to move freely in/out on the "hub shaft" splines, there is additional clearance there too.

So what you basically have is 3 nested gears loosely fitted to each other - with the hub body fastened to the outer most component. The end result is that - without the presence of the o-ring - you could wiggle the **** out of that group of gears.

The outer surface of the o-ring should be slightly raised above the OD of the hub body - where the hub body fits into the wheel hub. It is sized to fit tightly against the hub's ID. This creates a water tight seal and also reduces any play in the hub body:

Here are some images I took when I last went through my hubs. They show a 30 spline locking hub - used with the D60 but you get the idea.

The rest of this is mostly just my thoughts on lubricating the locking hubs. It is important to keep in mind that the only time that there is any relative motion between the 3 gears (that make up the locking hub assembly) is when the hubs are being engaged/disengaged. And that motion is limited to the distance that the clutch ring slides in/out - maybe 1/2".

The only reason for filling the hub cavity with grease is to prevent ingress of water. But for that to happen requires two things;

Loose or missing hub seals and submergence of the axles in water.

It is a good idea to stuff them pretty full if you have plans to do any serious off-roading (that involves water deeper than your axles) or if the seals are shot - up to a point.

It is not uncommon for some hubs (Warn for example) to have binding problems. This is especially true with dis-engagement. If there is excessive grease, the dis-engage spring on the inboard side of the clutch ring isn't strong enough to shift the clutch back out. This condition is made worse in the winter - when the viscosity of the grease increases due to cold temperatures.

If you do not intend to drive through streams and ponds a light coat of paste lubricant is all that is required.

Excerpted from Warn's maintenance manual:

Service Instructions

Service Kits are available. Hubs should be serviced at the same interval as the wheel bearings. Remove in reverse order of Installation Procedure(III). Then clean and lightly grease internal working surfaces. Do not pack the hubs with grease, the hubs will not function properly.

Maintenance

When new: Warn Hubs are assembled at the factory with the proper amount of grease so an additional amount is not required. When servicing:A "light coat" of molylube #1 will suffice.

(Note) Hubs should be serviced at the same manufacturers suggested intervals as the wheel bearings. I just brush on a thin coat of Permatex Nickel Anti-seize and wet that down with a good amount of WD-40. Never have a problem, the clutch ring and operating group slide smoothly - even in NH winters.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Mine does the same thing. I assumed it was because a few of the screws are striped out or missing. I've got 3 or 4 screws holding it in place right now. I ended up puting blue loctite on the others so I don't lose them until I get to it.

Thanks for the info and the diagram.

throttle out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Thank you indeed!
Being that o-ring is the outer most point of the assembly, I figured it to be the culprit, but you just never know sometimes.

Thanks again for your detailed run down!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly