Good by A/C...but what about these wires!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Struggle

Reaction score
First Name
Blaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys!

I have the left over remanence of my a/c system to deal with. Does anyone know of a decent thread or idea of which wires to remove from the engine bay/fire wall? I'm keeping the heater core, but no A/C so I can clean up the engine bay and utilize a few Ponies for my build. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Truck- 81' stepside/ 350 with a quadrajet and HEI distributor.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard Blaine. Are you replacing everything with heater only parts or just cutting the ac stuff out and using the existing ductwork/housings/controls etc.?

I did an AC delete on my Burb and installed a heater only setup out of another truck. It really cleans up the firewall and dash and makes a lot more room and has simpler wiring and controls. You just need to find the donor parts at a junk yard. This required welding some sheet metal in to cover the hole for the AC intake hole in the firewall and relocate the holes for the heater hoses but ti's pretty simple if you are a do it yourselfer and have the tools.

Here is a pic of it during the install. Both AC and Non-AC harnesses fit the same hole in the firewall.

You must be registered for see images

If you scroll down to the middle of this thread there are some pics of the heat-only parts:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5118&highlight=HEAT

And pictures of AC and non AC firewalls for comparison:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5118&highlight=HEAT

The Struggle

Reaction score
First Name
Blaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info paw paw I believe this is exactly what I need. I won't be welding any since I don't have a welder. Probably cut up some aluminum and rivet it up. Keeping the original core and supporting parts, but the a/c and all its buddies are goners. I'm looking for that simple, clean and organized engine bay.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yup rivets or self tappers. And caulk for the seams. That sheet metal I used on mine is from Home Depot and the thick stuff I think it's around 9 or 10 bucks for a sheet 12" x 18" or something like that. Use a cut off wheel on an angle grinder to get the shape you want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10