GMT-400 Alignment issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Took my daughters truck in for an alignment today. They checked the front end out and said all was good so I left, hour or so later they call and say they cant align it because the Caster and Camber are to far out and wont pull in. The knockouts have supposedly already been taken out, and the torsion bars are NOT cranked up! How ever it does appear that it has either had new keys installed or aftermarket torsion bars because the Front end does sit higher then normal. The guy doing the Alignment would not do anything to fix it, evidently they don't do any repairs only alignments so I know he wasn't just trying to "sell" me something. He did however turn me on to an Aftermarket Bushing that is drilled offset of center and allows for more adjustment. But again he wont install. I have been looking online and so far all I am coming up with is a 1 degree offset bushing, and I cant remember what the print out said as far as how far out it is to know for sure if the 1 degree will resolve the Issue. Ive seen 2 degree also but unclear on fitment of vehicle as well is if its +/-2 degrees each way or if its a total of 2 degrees (+1-1= 2 degree). Any advise would be much appreciated. Not opposed to just swapping the entire control arms out either.

She does not want me to lower it back to stock height either so that rules that out.

Oh the truck is a 1997 K1500

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Seems possible you could have a bent control arm if the camber adjustment is maxed out and the wheel is still leaning... OR wheel bearings?
You said k1500 so its 4x4, they use a unit bearing... It's not like older 4x4 solid axle with a spindle and hub

On those trucks the hub and bearing are one... If the bearings are shot it'll cause it to lean some.

Just some thoughts.

I've dealt with ifs ALOT unfortunately... Which is why I did a solid axle swap lol
(not suggesting you do that)

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Seems possible you could have a bent control arm if the camber adjustment is maxed out and the wheel is still leaning... OR wheel bearings?
You said k1500 so its 4x4, they use a unit bearing... It's not like older 4x4 solid axle with a spindle and hub

On those trucks the hub and bearing are one... If the bearings are shot it'll cause it to lean some.

Just some thoughts.

I've dealt with ifs ALOT unfortunately... Which is why I did a solid axle swap lol
(not suggesting you do that)
Doubtful the arms are bent because both sides are the same. I am all to aware of the wheel bearings but everything in the front end is new. Seriously want to do a SAS on it but I cant find a furd front differential here for anything. Maybe I just have better friends then people with furds :dogpile:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Doubtful the arms are bent because both sides are the same. I am all to aware of the wheel bearings but everything in the front end is new. Seriously want to do a SAS on it but I cant find a furd front differential here for anything. Maybe I just have better friends then people with furds :dogpile:

Picked up my kingpin 60 (87-91.5, 36.5 Centerpin distance) for like... 900?
Got a spare axle in the deal for another 600

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Picked up my kingpin 60 (87-91.5, 36.5 Centerpin distance) for like... 900?
Got a spare axle in the deal for another 600

Hell I would be happy with just a 44, she never going to do any seriouse wheeling

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Hell I would be happy with just a 44, she never going to do any seriouse wheeling

I mean... Those aren't too too hard to find. Lol

The guy I bought my axles from sells, refurbishes, mods, and whatever else 1 ton axles.
I just got ****** old takeouts from 87-91.5 ford's, and a 99-06 14 bolt disc brake rear for the s10 in my picture.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502

If both sides are out the same amount, I'd be inclined to think those replacement torsion keys might be the offender.

I misread, thought you said just 1 side was out.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
If both sides are out the same amount, I'd be inclined to think those replacement torsion keys might be the offender.

I misread, thought you said just 1 side was out.

Yea just trying to figure out how to fix it with out removing she doesn't want to looser her ride height

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Yea just trying to figure out how to fix it with out removing she doesn't want to looser her ride height

I think I'm just screwing up everything here and blabbing Lol I've had a long 14 hour day

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Did they give you any kind of numbers for the caster and camber, maybe a print out to prove how far off? Why the alignment, any wear on the tires, driving bad, pulls, what was wrong to start with?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I will add, I think the camber shims are +1 and +2.

Not +/-2 and so forth.

That is my major contribution to your search for answers, and it's very little aid.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Yeah they gave me a printout but I left it in my truck and haven't been back to get mine yet. Took it in for an alignment because the Camber was noticeably out just bye the eye and and it is pulling to the right. Havent driven the truck enough to know about uneven tire wear.

Jethro224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Those trucks just don't take well to raising ride height unless you do it with a real lift kit or sas. The offset bushings are kind of a hack. They can sometimes correct the angles but have their own issues.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Those trucks just don't take well to raising ride height unless you do it with a real lift kit or sas. The offset bushings are kind of a hack. They can sometimes correct the angles but have their own issues.

Well Im all ears to the issues they have on there own

Jethro224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
All the ones I've seen must be installed in pairs at just the right rotation. The hole is offset from center so one side has way more rubber than the other making the bushing weaker on one side. They don't tend to last as long.
Then, even if you do get the alignment right where you want it, the geometry of everything else is screwed up still. Travel is limited. Axle shaft angles are steep. On and on.
Best to just lift em right or don't lift em.
The stock setup gives quite a bit of adjustment already if your alignment guy does it right.
It's your truck tho. Do as you see fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ