gm vs aftermarket forged crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Been thinking if there are any specific major differences when GM specifies their motor to have a forged steel crank vs various aftermarket options.
Specifically P/N 19300876 , that is labeled as forged steel.
4.250 stroke bbc crank.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Had thoughts of going with 4.500 stroke, but it is getting very expensive as is already.

Last edited:

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
So you are building a later model Big Block engine then? As far as cranks go, most will agree that forged is forged although there certainly are differences in material used and/or the quality of. Most of the aftermarket has good quality stuff that will outperform and outlive anything the engine came with, given it is put together right. But also given arguments sake, if I put a callies or a scat or an eagle or some other aftermarket crankshaft in my engine, I would reasonably believe and assume it's going to be a better piece than the 40-50 year old crank I replaced. And it is also "virgin" and doesn't have how many millions of revolutions and heat cycles through it, affecting the remaining life of the piece. What are you wanting to do with the engine? and how big do you really want to go? Anything from 454 cubes up to 496 is going to have more than enough power for most of our needs and desires. I'm curious here.. for arguments sake! Lol

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
So you are building a later model Big Block engine then? As far as cranks go, most will agree that forged is forged although there certainly are differences in material used and/or the quality of. Most of the aftermarket has good quality stuff that will outperform and outlive anything the engine came with, given it is put together right. But also given arguments sake, if I put a callies or a scat or an eagle or some other aftermarket crankshaft in my engine, I would reasonably believe and assume it's going to be a better piece than the 40-50 year old crank I replaced. And it is also "virgin" and doesn't have how many millions of revolutions and heat cycles through it, affecting the remaining life of the piece. What are you wanting to do with the engine? and how big do you really want to go? Anything from 454 cubes up to 496 is going to have more than enough power for most of our needs and desires. I'm curious here.. for arguments sake! Lol

I have a stock 2016 8.0l engine with factory forged 4.250 crank. Changing to forged rods and pistons. Likely going with brodix race-rite oval ports. And then choke it with a stock 7.4 vortec intake. For a moment was debating on 4.5 stroke eagle forged crank, but pretty much convinced my self against it. Possibly will have 20lb of boost on the motor is what made me think back on the gm forged crank.

Current state of things:
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Gave a go ahead to machine shop for new rods and pistons awhile ago. Have cam and heads selected, but not ordered yet. Machine shop has been very slow with doing any work on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe