getting your square ready for off roading on a budget!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
alright so this thread is going to be chocked full of budget things you can do to get your square ready to tackle some trails on a budget the idea being that anyone can add things that you have done or read about that would make your square more off road capable, any ideas are welcomed as long as they are budget friendly and the only real "rule" is id like to keep the chit chat down so that people looking through for good ideas dont have to sift through everyones "nice ideas" and stuff like that

if anyone said something that could be potentially dangerous feel free to chime in and let us know.

so some of the things i actually have to add

first off one of the limiting factors in teh stock suspension would be the shocks, theres not a lot of travel in them a cheep thing you can do to upgrade it are to bolt on the shock mounts from a ford F250-350 im not sure if they bolt in or if you have to drill holes Because it was a PO mod that he had done before i bought it, i never thought to ask him about it and now its to late as they moved back to arizona. but they were a few inches longer meaning longer shocks can be installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

next up some fender cuting, everyone should know this but its free and usually it increases room for bigger tires witch obviously are good for off roading as far as cutting goes pick how far back you want to go measure tape and cut mine where cut back 2 1/4"

front

rear

so thats all thats been done to my truck extended travel shocks and cut fenders cutting the fenders were free and you should be able to get the mounts at pick n pull for 10 bucks or so a so for 40 bucks my truck clears 33x12.50 BFG M/Ts and i think i could go up a size or two with no problems all my lift comes from tire size so i have plenty of axle clearance and tons of flex for stock

as you can see i have a decent amount of flex but being as its not registered i cant leave my yard to go to a loading ramp for an actual flex test, i maybe have 5-6 more inches of uptravel but i ran out of "safe" jack height

theres a few things i have planed to increase the flex even more,

for the rear you can make a shackle flip/relocation bracket that will flip it and relocate it to allow for longer shackles at a near perfect angle (45 degrees) allowing for lots of suspension droop increasing flex, i am aware that they make these flip kits but none of them maintain height or improve shackle angle the ones that i have seen lift it atleast 2.5 inches and they are somewhat expensive.

for the front all you have to do is extend them and relocate them so they are at a 45 degree angle and you should be set for under 250 excluding whatever tires you buy. good luck guys, and remember to keep adding away

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
The ideal shackle angle is closer to 30 degrees on a leaf sprung suspension. That will give you equal rachel in both directions with the shackle before it a) inverts, or b) the spring runs into the shackle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20