general questions on preferences.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know that's the most vague title anyone could put on a topic. But I have a few different topics so I figured you ever wondered in here would figure it out.

I've worked on stuff my entire life, learned where to use sealant and we're not, when to use lock washers and when to use Teflon nut, etc. I was just wondering tonight about the use of Loctite, blue and red. I was wondering what others used it on. I know some suspension parts I have bought have come with red loctite. I've got several tubes of blue from dads shop after he passed away but personally I have never really used the stuff at all on anything that I have built. Is it common practice to use the blue and red on stuff you work on everyday? What about anti seize? Wheel studs? I've just recently started using white lithium spray grease, learning that it lasts much longer than wd40 in the lubricating department. After working on stuff for a while you start learning to use the right tools and supplies to your advantage.

I was also wondering about the use of stainless hardware on chassis, suspension, frame brackets, all that stuff. I know that grade 8 is a lot stronger, but I also know stainless is nice because of it corrosion resistance and looks. Plus, I get unlimited free stainless hardware from work lol. Only thing is you have to grease it before putting a nut on, cause it will seize up.

So anyways was just wondering what all y'alls preferences were. Not here to get in arguments or make anyone feel stupid or anything, just an open discussion

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Don't mess around with anything but grade 8 bolts for chassis and frame brackets! IMO stainless sucks accept for corrosion. They always gull the threads! Which means the bolt is even weaker cause its got no threads!

I also like grade 8 for when it comes time to taking things apart. Cause the lower grade stuff rusts and breaks faster then grade 8 hardware.

Clear coat works great for keeping things shiny with out painting them with a color.

Loctite is for when you want to put something together that's gonna stay together for a long time! Otherwise just use lock washers or nuts or both. Or is something that is subjected to a lot of vibration.

I use Never Seize on my lug nuts. It works great. You just have to be careful to keep your lug nuts torqued properly and recheck at intervals. I never seized all my body to frame bolts too! For the bed I used grade 8 regular hex head bolts n washers and never seize so that if need be I can have someone put a wrench on both ends of the bolt. In fact I use the stuff on every body bolt I have wrenched on. The only thing is that the stuff will wash away if exposed to the elements.

WD40 is great for cleaning and preventing corrosion on electrical connections!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare