Gauge warning light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
I just found a factory tachometer and it has a blank space where there should be warning lights. Since I have never taken apart a GM gauge pod before, I have NO idea how to replace it. Do I remove the one from my old fuel gauge and attach it to the tachometer somehow? And if so how is it done?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Are you trying to install the factory tach where your current gas gauge is or did you find a full cluster?

You will need to do some plastic removal to get it to fit. The warning light plastic fits in a space in the housing, not the gauge itself.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah, the engine light, parking brake, 4wd, turn signal labels are all plastic pieces that sit on pins in the gauge housing, and they have gaskets, and the gauge goes on top and gets screwed down tight over them. I swore I posed pics of that stuff here somewhere... :think:

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
This is a single tach that I am installing in a cluster where the gas gauge is. So the warning light film is attached to the housing not the gauge? That will help a great deal.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This is a single tach that I am installing in a cluster where the gas gauge is. So the warning light film is attached to the housing not the gauge? That will help a great deal.

Yeah, they just sit on plastic pins molded into the housing, there are holes in the film, they slide on with a foam gasket behind them and the gauge pushes against it. :)

I am still trying to find pics from mine.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
The tach arrived today and I installed it in the pod. Thanks for the advice! It made me aware of what I was getting into before I opened the pod. I have put together gauge pods for my old 74 Dodge Charger and my 73 Plymouth Satellite but this was my first attempt at a GM. What a difference!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loki1978