Gauge Cluster Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertWichert

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
I need your help and advice regarding a gauge cluster replacement for my 1975 K10. I asked my transmission shop friend to replace my speedometer cable because it (or the speedo) is noisy. He reported back that he had to disassemble the dash to gain access to the cable connection to the back of the speedo and everything he touches is breaking (it IS an old truck!) so he recommended buying replacements, but when I looked, all I could find were digital gauges that required splicing the new wiring loom into into the old wiring loom. Neither my friend nor I think that we have the technical expertise to succeed at that, so I'm asking you all for advice.

Question 1 - I would literally buy stock gauges and mounting and bezel and cover, but all I can find are digital gauges. Where could I get stock gauges and mounting plastic? I have looked everywhere that I can think of.

Question 2 - Where could I get a "stock" tach conversion? I'm not sure such a thing is available, but I would do it if I could run a tach signal direct to the tach from the MSD distributor (and power too, I guess). I would need a fuel gauge though, which may make this option too problematic to attempt.

Question 3 - If I have to go digital/electronic, is Dakota Digital the best choice? Would idiots like us be able to make the swap?

Question 4 - What else would you recommend?

REMEMBER => All I wanted was to fix the noisy speedo!!

My truck is a 1975 K10 shortbed stepside (not that that matters! HA!) with a granny four-speed.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ouch. Access to the speedo cable IS possible without disassembling the dash. Just for future reference.

From my personal experience in converting my gauges to a stock tach cluster, my recommendation would be to get on ebay and see if you can find a whole unit ready to go. Expect to spend good money, ie $200-$300, but that is cheaper than going the digital route.

LMC and Classic Industries have most, if not all, the parts you would need to rebuild your cluster. I am not saying it will be a cheap route, but they should have what you need.

Good luck my friend.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I need your help and advice regarding a gauge cluster replacement for my 1975 K10. I asked my transmission shop friend to replace my speedometer cable because it (or the speedo) is noisy. He reported back that he had to disassemble the dash to gain access to the cable connection to the back of the speedo and everything he touches is breaking (it IS an old truck!) so he recommended buying replacements, but when I looked, all I could find were digital gauges that required splicing the new wiring loom into into the old wiring loom. Neither my friend nor I think that we have the technical expertise to succeed at that, so I'm asking you all for advice.

Question 1 - I would literally buy stock gauges and mounting and bezel and cover, but all I can find are digital gauges. Where could I get stock gauges and mounting plastic? I have looked everywhere that I can think of.

Question 2 - Where could I get a "stock" tach conversion? I'm not sure such a thing is available, but I would do it if I could run a tach signal direct to the tach from the MSD distributor (and power too, I guess). I would need a fuel gauge though, which may make this option too problematic to attempt.

Question 3 - If I have to go digital/electronic, is Dakota Digital the best choice? Would idiots like us be able to make the swap?

Question 4 - What else would you recommend?

REMEMBER => All I wanted was to fix the noisy speedo!!

My truck is a 1975 K10 shortbed stepside (not that that matters! HA!) with a granny four-speed.

Your help is very much appreciated.

https://www.lmctruck.com/interior/dash-components

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84