gasoline drainback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yep and I've had a pressure regulator starve an engine.Same car same engine 2 different regulators I worked fine 1 starved the engine and in the end neither was needed.I 've had pumps with too little volume.Ive had pumps with too much volume which creates too much pressure, shortened the push rod too lower volume and thus lower pressure.Ive run return lines with a tee straight leg goes straight through to carb(path of least resistance)side leg is the return and use a restrictor in the return so carb is truly path of least resistance,in retrospect I think I could have used a fuel filter in the return line as my restrictor.I used brass stock drilling different size holes tell I had what I wanted in the return.The float bowl fills closes the needle, fuel goes out the tee back to the tank.Many ways to skin a cat.Id keep as many variables out of the equation.Start with a pump.Its cheap and easy.

I just want to comment mainly on adding return lines. There is both a 5/16, and 3/8 fuel filter made by wix that has a built in return line and some kind of limiting device built into the return side of the filter so that it works properly. I know this because we use to add return lines using these filters into vehicles at work, it was primarily on Dodge vans and motorhomes. Never had an issue with them and very much simplified the addition of an return line on a carbed vehicle. Personally I've never had a fuel pressure regulator starve an engine except in the case of a defective unit. I also would not and have never felt the need to shorten a push rod to lower fuel volume, seems like that could cause a difficult situation for someone down the road when the pump needs to be replaced again.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
What @Grit dog said. There are already two check valves in a fuel pump. Don't bother adding another. More complexity doesn't = reliability.

Mechanical fuel pumps are self-regulating. If you need to add a regulator something isn't adding up. Again, more complexity doesn't make for less problems.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
This just
I just want to comment mainly on adding return lines. There is both a 5/16, and 3/8 fuel filter made by wix that has a built in return line and some kind of limiting device built into the return side of the filter so that it works properly. I know this because we use to add return lines using these filters into vehicles at work, it was primarily on Dodge vans and motorhomes. Never had an issue with them and very much simplified the addition of an return line on a carbed vehicle. Personally I've never had a fuel pressure regulator starve an engine except in the case of a defective unit. I also would not and have never felt the need to shorten a push rod to lower fuel volume, seems like that could cause a difficult situation for someone down the road when the pump needs to be replaced again.
And if you look at the thread where you told someone else to put a regulator on their edelbrock I gave the part number for the wix filter to do this.Unless the regulator has some way to return fuel to the tank all its doing is choking the amount of available fuel to the carb just like turning the spigot down on the gardon hose. Shortening the pump push rod or stacking pump plate gaskets does the same thing by limiting pump stroke.I get by just fine without a regulator so does almost everyone else in the world,including you until recently.So anyway I still think if you need a regulator something else is wrong and everything else is a bandaid.Im sick of debating with you, my eddys run fine no regulator, you do whatever you want. Yep a shortened push rod might confuse someone diwn the line and your regulator could spring a leak set the car on fire and burn down an apartment complex and kill a bunch of people.Lets quit making problems and excuses.and put a known good pump on it.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Boys, boys, no need to fight. Like I said, Im going to try a new pump(new filter and rubber hoses while im at it) and see how it performs over time, if I have problems I think i will maybe try the idea of extra plates between pump and block before I would do a regulator, simply for cost. I do appreciate the idea it helps me moving forward. but no need to be vicious

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
This just

And if you look at the thread where you told someone else to put a regulator on their edelbrock I gave the part number for the wix filter to do this.Unless the regulator has some way to return fuel to the tank all its doing is choking the amount of available fuel to the carb just like turning the spigot down on the gardon hose. Shortening the pump push rod or stacking pump plate gaskets does the same thing by limiting pump stroke.I get by just fine without a regulator so does almost everyone else in the world,including you until recently.So anyway I still think if you need a regulator something else is wrong and everything else is a bandaid.Im sick of debating with you, my eddys run fine no regulator, you do whatever you want. Yep a shortened push rod might confuse someone diwn the line and your regulator could spring a leak set the car on fire and burn down an apartment complex and kill a bunch of people.Lets quit making problems and excuses.and put a known good pump on it.

Sorry dude didn't mean to piss you off. I accidentally thought that I was posting useful information that someone might want to see either now or in the future. If you don't want to "debate" then simply stop participating it's that simple. I have a vehicle that a regulator fixed that is true, I have put regulators on customer vehicles. Edelbrock recommends a "regulator or to purchase their fuel pump. I don't see how it can be a band aid if the carburetor manufacture recommends it.

What in the world....... :Stupid Me::uhoh2:

I guess I would be the guy with the head bleeding....

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Read that.It.It says check the fuel pressure If this is occurring.it says add a regulator or a bypass if necessary.It does say that their fuel pump and fuel filter are recommended on ALL applications.But nowhere did I see use a fuel pressure regulator or their pump.You can use their pump and filter if you want,But any pump with 6psi and any quality fuel filter is fine on my eyes.If you think your posting useful information post all of it, and post it accurately.Besides this is so far off point anyway her problem is fuel leaking back to the tank. Installing 152 fuel pressure regulators will not fix that.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Read that.It says add a bypass if necessary.It says check the fuel pressure it says add a regulator if this and this equal this.Not just random stick a fuel pressure regulator on.Besides this is so far off point anyway her problem is fuel leaking back to the tank. Installing 152 fuel pressure regulators will not fix that.
No it's not off point. Off point would be me telling you the battery on your phone is damn near dead, which it is by the way..... Here https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/350/350-1400.pdf you can read the installation sheet for an edelbrock 1400 series carb, in two places it mentions installing a regulator if pressure is to high, no where does it mention a bypass, but you are completely missing my point. I'm not saying a bypass is wrong or bad. My point which you will never see, is that I work on cars for a living, in a shop that does a lot of work on older carb rigs, and while we don't encourage people to change over to Edelbrocks if they do we require them to install a regulator, why because it reduces problem both now and later. And the use of a regulator is approved by carb manufacture. No one I know professionally will install an edelbrock anymore without a regulator. Now I have made my point as clear as I possibly can so this will be the end of the debate from me.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You can read what I copied from edelbrock. It absolutely says check pressure it. also says use a restricted bypass bleed or their regulator.Ive worked on cars for a living since the early 80s as a matter of fact where I learned the bypass bleed tee was back in the mid 80s when everybody wanted carbs. back on their cars because fuel injection wasn't fully understood.We did that so we didn't have to replace the factory pimp cut up the factory wiring etc., lots of carburated cars under my belt.And the point is that you are still missing is 100 fuel pressure regulators is not going to stop fuel bleed back.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hold on!

Yeah but!

Uh huh..

A HOLLOW sbc fuel pump pushrod is an actual thing.

Can you imagine trying to cut down a fuel pump pushrod? I bet they are pretty damned hard steel... What you gonna cut it with?

What happens if you cut it and find it HOLLOW?!

Like omg, wouldn't that be awesome?
You have to post pix dude! Make a vid yo!!!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hold on!

Yeah but!

Uh huh..

A HOLLOW sbc fuel pump pushrod is an actual thi

Can you imagine trying to cut down a fuel pump pushrod? I bet they are pretty damned hard steel... What you gonna cut it with?

What happens if you cut it and find it HOLLOW?!

Like omg, wouldn't that be awesome?
You have to post pix dude! Make a vid yo!!!

Lol.I love it .If you ever want to shorten one just take it the grinder for a minute yep a hollow one would be a surprise.Geez how did a bad fuel pump check valve get twisted into two days of pressure regulator debate.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Fuel pump check valve? That's retarded lol. Sounds like a good way to start a fire! Buy a new pump, they're cheap.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Didn't we already have this fight?
I thought I won already lol...this is a different one?
Yes, but this one has Roger Miller. So it must be better. :p
:waytogo:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981