Gas gage reads over F when hooked up to the printed ciruit but below E when hard wired to the tank/power/ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
A couple of years ago I replaced the entire wiring harness (painless wiring) from headlights to tailights and I am very happy with the results except for the gas gage. I also replaced the printed cuircuit. When hooked up normally to the gage cluster/printed curcuit she would always read over full. A few months ago I dropped the gas tank and made sure I had a good ground at the sending unit by hooking a long wire from the battery positive to a light bulb and back to the chassis via the ground wire for the sending unit. While the empty tank was out I checked the resistance of the sending unit with the tank upright and upside down and it gave a typical change. I also sent a borescope into the tank and she is mint. Then I cleaned up the connections on top of the sending unit and got a new connector for the signal wire to the gage cluster. This past weekend I tried hard wiring the gage to the battery via the extra ignition on power wire for the power windows that I don't have (she has good old fashioned roll up crank windows). I also spliced into the signal wire right at the printed cicuit in the dash and grounded back to the ground block next to the parking brake pedal that is hard wired to the battery because she is a little rusty under there. I used my Hayens manual cicuit schematic (attached) noting that the fuel gage on the schematic has the needle displayed for what I assume to be orientation to wire right to the terminals on the gage, bypassing the printed cicuit. I tried two different guages and switched the orientation of the ground and signal wires and everytime she was reading below empty. Any ideas? Do I just need to run a new wire from the sending unit to the terminal that plugs into the printed curcuit?

Attachments

• image_50440449.JPG
    image_50440449.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 34

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
3 o'clock indicates an open circuit, where 9 o'clock indicates grounded out.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
So the resister on the back of both gages is bad
It's possible. Did you check both resistors?? Many years ago, the first thing I learned about electrical repairs ---- Never assume anything, check, check, and then re-check...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad