Fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Coming up on Christmas time I've decided to treat myself to some truck parts. I'm doing a ground up build replacing cleverything and I need to know which tank and which sender/fuel line to use. I have a shortbed that was originally an 86', there's a sbc going in with a mechanical pump. I understand I only need the driver side 16 gallon tank but there are 3 different senders to use, with 1-3 outlets. I just want an easy straight forward fuel system set up to the pump. Any tips or references would be great I've mostly been looking through LMC truck. Thanks and merry Christmas.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Coming up on Christmas time I've decided to treat myself to some truck parts. I'm doing a ground up build replacing cleverything and I need to know which tank and which sender/fuel line to use. I have a shortbed that was originally an 86', there's a sbc going in with a mechanical pump. I understand I only need the driver side 16 gallon tank but there are 3 different senders to use, with 1-3 outlets. I just want an easy straight forward fuel system set up to the pump. Any tips or references would be great I've mostly been looking through LMC truck. Thanks and merry Christmas.

So is your question which sender to use? If you're not using the evap canister or a return, you can use the one neck sender. If you're using the evap canister but no return, you can use the two neck sender. If you're using a return and the evap canister, you use the three neck sender. An '86 would have had the three neck sending units originally.

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So is your question which sender to use? If you're not using the evap canister or a return, you can use the one neck sender. If you're using the evap canister but no return, you can use the two neck sender. If you're using a return and the evap canister, you use the three neck sender. An '86 would have had the three neck sending units originally.

Thank you for clearing that up i wasn't sure which application suited each sender. There are no emissions requirements where I live and I'm building a hotrod, do you know what I should do for a sender setup? Can I go with 1 outlet sender and use a vented gas cap to vent the tank pressure? Do I need to run a return line?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Thank you for clearing that up i wasn't sure which application suited each sender. There are no emissions requirements where I live and I'm building a hotrod, do you know what I should do for a sender setup? Can I go with 1 outlet sender and use a vented gas cap to vent the tank pressure? Do I need to run a return line?

You can go with the one outlet and a vented cap if you want. Just make sure you get the fuel pump that has two nipples instead of three.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think the hot setup is to use the return line but no evap canister, and vent the fuel cap.

The return line means that gas is always circulating in the fuel lines, so it keeps you from getting vapor lock or boiling fuel in the line by the exhaust.

The General didn't just add parts for s**ts and giggles, there had to be a reason. The evap canister, OK, we know the reason for that, and it wasn't for performance reasons. But the return line setup was to address specific problems.

In which case use the two-port sender and the fuel pump with three connections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky