Fuel tank switch no power to pink lead on dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

az3plus3

Reaction score
First Name
adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Hello first time caller long Time listener. I'm having issues with my fuel tank switch 87 C30. I checked continuity from fuse block to dash wire is good. Pulled off the fuse block and found no power to were pink lead goes into. BUT it was working just a month ago. I found were the wire plugs into behind the fuse block and the wire jaw clamp lead are wide open. I looked for a strip wire and didn't find one. Any help would be great thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There should be 0-90 ohms on the pink wire that feeds to the cluster. It varies based on fuel level.

The fuel tank switch setup changed in the early 80's sometime. I think @chengny has helped with these setups several times in the past.

az3plus3

Reaction score
First Name
adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I just moved the 12v pink lead over a few roles to the left that has juice and it works fine. That whole vertical channel that is there has no power and that's were the kickdown for the transmission gets it's juice to. I appreciate your help it's working now. There were alot of "modifications" done to it before I bought it. So im sure it's not the last can of worms. Thanks again!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I realized I may be wrong, I think the sender wire is pink with a black tracer?

So yeah, that pink wire you were asking about was a main power feed I guess.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I just moved the 12v pink lead over a few roles to the left that has juice and it works fine. That whole vertical channel that is there has no power and that's were the kickdown for the transmission gets it's juice to. I appreciate your help it's working now. There were alot of "modifications" done to it before I bought it. So im sure it's not the last can of worms. Thanks again!

If the entire IGN bank (4 sockets) is dead - with the key in RUN - check the 20A IGN fuse and the shunt directly above it.

Pulled off the fuse block and found no power to were pink lead goes into. BUT it was working just a month ago. I found were the wire plugs into behind the fuse block and the wire jaw clamp lead are wide open. I looked for a strip wire and didn't find one.

The IGN bank isn't fed from the back of the fuse block. It is supplied with power by the IGN fuse and shunt as shown above. You won't find a unconnected/stripped wire that is supposed to go where you indicate in the image.

Also, note the male spade terminal jammed under the 20A IGN fuse on load side connection - that might be part of the problem.

Last edited:

az3plus3

Reaction score
First Name
adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Hell yeah thanks alot chengny that solved my issue bad shunt much appreciated brotha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soliddrummer