Fuel tank overfilled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Uh huh.
A charcoal canister really is full of charcoal...little tiny bits.

It filters unburned fuel vapors that get returned to the gas tank memalooose. In squarebody trucks it's opposite the battery underhood with hoses.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You have gotten mostly good advice and I agree 100% the valve is most likely the culprit. If it really was an overfilled tank you'd of had to be on a pump at the station that didn't shut off or return properly, like seriously badly. I have to admit I will sometimes top off my tanks and I've never had that happen.

Furthermore don't remove the canister. Trying to dry it out probably won't work but I mean why not try. If it fails spend the $50 to replace it, unless you like your truck to smell like gasoline. Ya, I know there were lots of vehicle built without them, but this isn't 1950 either.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
So here's the latest, more to follow. Dropped the left tank for the 5th time. Shortened the hoses and made sure there were no kinks. Rechecked all the wiring, found nothing out of the ordinary. Removed all the hoses from the switch valve and blew the lines out from one side to the other, and the return to the canister, all clear. Reassembeled with a new switch valve. Truck runs better than before for sure, very smooth. Just not confident that the fuel gauge is reading correctly or that I am actually sucking from the tank the switch in the cabin says I am. Time will tell. By the way the canister cleaned up well, no real smell to it and all the ports are clear. Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard