Fuel or ignition issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I was on awhile ago and did a bunch of stuff trying to resolve a lack of power issue. I checked compression, firing order, rebuilt the carb, change plugs wires and putting on a new fuel pump tomorrow. So a couple things I noticed was it used to be able to hear my truck now I cant hear it almost sounds like a prius. But I have zero power and I cant rev above 3000 (that's a guezz somewere around there). My timing is set 15 degrees over if I go lower I just lose more and more power. It takes me about three miles to get going 65 I need to keep the rpms as low as possible because if it goes 2500 3000 rpm it slows down. The engine kind of vibrates like it's missing a cylinder or two that off shake wen u rev it it almost hits a rev limiter at 3000 oh its an 86 c10 305 electronic quadrajet

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Catalytic converter plugged up?

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
How do I check cut it off or can I just onhook headers that's pretty dam short though

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's pretty much new was put on in 2005 to smog then the truck literally just sat new mufflers cat everything

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, you have done everything else. Base timing is supposed to be 4 to 6 degrees with th dist unplugged. i say the cat is the next thing. If you have a vacuum gauge, hook it up and see what it reads...if not, cut it off and clamp in a piece of pipe, or take it to an exhaust shop and see what they can do.

Last edited:

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Okay well I'm gonna put that new fuel pump on it was twenty bucks and a fuel pressure gauge was like fourty so there really was a no brainier there but I will get that on if no change ill cut the exhaust off. My uncle welds just in Petaluma so gotta get it there somehow

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Anybody have any pointers on keeping this plunger up while trying to install the fuel pump pissing me off. Any tricks u brilliant bastards know and wanna let me in on the secret

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I usually gob a shitload of heavy grease on it, then push it up....works best if everything is cold. Your using the grease as a binder.

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Dude ur freaking awesome I was like trying hoping someone would respond okay ten four the second I get this on see if there is any difference if not I'm cutting the exhaust off I will let u know soon

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That plunger has to be basically all the way up huh I can't get it to stay to save my life I use pliers to just get it up then barely slip my finger in there. I kinda get it it falls agian driving me NUTS

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That plunger has to be basically all the way up huh I can't get it to stay to save my life I use pliers to just get it up then barely slip my finger in there. I kinda get it it falls agian driving me NUTS

May have to rotate the engine by hand to see if it will go up any further...it runs off a lobe on the front of the cam.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
*duplicate post*
We need to be able to delete our own ******* posts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef