Fuel only gets to engine when tank is out of the vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok I'm not sure how helpful I can be but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in, part of this is so the thread will show up in my feed you up load the pictures.

My knee jerk first reaction is that your pinching a hose when you put the tank up. I have dual tanks, and I have to left side sending units, because at the time the right side was back ordered, so the only difference is orientation of the ports, and looping longer hoses around is the solution. My point to all that is there is some room up there, but still it can happen. But if those hoses are 40 years old and they are routed a little different the pump when trying to suck gas up might be sucking a fuel line closed. This would be exacerbated by the 40 year old pick up screen on the end of your pick up tube, if it's causing a restriction that puts more suction in the fuel line. It's also possible, because you can't see the inside of a rubber hose, it's possible for them to break down inside, then you wiggle it around those rubber chunks break loose and either plug up the line the switching valve, or at the fuel filter.

If this truck was towed into my shop right now the first thing we'd do is drop the tank and replace the rubber fuel lines and the sending unit, or at least the pick up sock.

Challis350

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Ok I'm not sure how helpful I can be but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in, part of this is so the thread will show up in my feed you up load the pictures.

My knee jerk first reaction is that your pinching a hose when you put the tank up. I have dual tanks, and I have to left side sending units, because at the time the right side was back ordered, so the only difference is orientation of the ports, and looping longer hoses around is the solution. My point to all that is there is some room up there, but still it can happen. But if those hoses are 40 years old and they are routed a little different the pump when trying to suck gas up might be sucking a fuel line closed. This would be exacerbated by the 40 year old pick up screen on the end of your pick up tube, if it's causing a restriction that puts more suction in the fuel line. It's also possible, because you can't see the inside of a rubber hose, it's possible for them to break down inside, then you wiggle it around those rubber chunks break loose and either plug up the line the switching valve, or at the fuel filter.

If this truck was towed into my shop right now the first thing we'd do is drop the tank and replace the rubber fuel lines and the sending unit, or at least the pick up sock.
I have replaced the rubber fuel lines. The tank, the sender and the hoses to the fuel lines are all brand new.

As I said, will get pictures up ASAP. Might even treat you all to a video.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have replaced the rubber fuel lines. The tank, the sender and the hoses to the fuel lines are all brand new.

Ok, sorry about that I missed that in catching up with the thread.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Im still waiting on the SAE hose # on your lines, surely you have extra line left over. bet it has white letters/numbers printed on it in an repeating pattern
You must be registered for see images attach

Challis350

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Im still waiting on the SAE hose # on your lines, surely you have extra line left over. bet it has white letters/numbers printed on it in an repeating pattern
You must be registered for see images attach
I will let you know tomorrow morning - been working late tonight. Auto shop just gave me as much hose as I brought in and I used it all.

Challis350

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Update: I just went outside to take a video to show you how it wasn't starting.

Guess what happened? It started, and ran. And i just drove it round the block and floored it and it zoomed off.

I honestly don't understand this planet. I charged the battery overnight because I had almost killed it trying to get it to start on Sunday so that must have been it.

I'd like to say case closed, but i'm not going to hold my breath.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Update: I just went outside to take a video to show you how it wasn't starting.

Guess what happened? It started, and ran. And i just drove it round the block and floored it and it zoomed off.

I honestly don't understand this planet. I charged the battery overnight because I had almost killed it trying to get it to start on Sunday so that must have been it.

I'd like to say case closed, but i'm not going to hold my breath.
You might have flooded it before. If it isn't below freezing, a single pump all the way to the floor and a gentle release of the throttle will set the choke and give it a solid shot of fuel for a cold start. It should then fire right up with no need to touch the throttle again. If it's below freezing I will do two pumps.

If you crank and crank and get no start, you are likely flooded or have an ignition problem. To clear a flood, put the throttle to the floor and hold it while cranking until the engine fires up. Once it fires and starts revving up, let go of the throttle and it should have a normal idle afterwards.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I agree with what @Bextreme04 says, but also want to add that if the battery was low and it was cranking slow, it might not have turned over long enough of fast enough to get fuel into the float bowl, if for some reason the bowl was empty.

Challis350

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Might as well upload the video I took:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The amount of smoke is probably good evidence of engine flooding!

I also have no idea what that nasty noise was the first time I cranked it?!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Might as well upload the video I took:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The amount of smoke is probably good evidence of engine flooding!

I also have no idea what that nasty noise was the first time I cranked it?!
is your carb tuned? If so , go punch it on some open roads if I were you lol

Challis350

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Yeah I will once the world cup games have ended for the day!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That's probably steam if it's cold outside

Challis350

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
OK well took it for a 30 minute drive around Vancouver.

When its in Drive (yes I couldn't find one with a manual tranny -boo) it runs fine and there certainly feels like theres no loss of power.

But it is hesitating when it is warm and at idle. I had a circurcumstance where I breaked quite hard and the engine cut out, then when I restarted it it cut out as soon as I tried taking it out of park. I basically had to rev it high in park and jam it into drive quickly which isn't a sustainable way to treat a 40 year old gearbox.

When it is in drive, and i come to a stop at a red light, it doesn't cut out, but it feels like it is close to doing so.

Can't be a fuel delivery issue if i can floor it without any issues, but might get some compressed air into that idle circuit as someone previously mentioned.

Edit: Just drove 20 minutes and it actually was fine - idle was a little shaky but i didnt get the impression it was going to conk out. Also allowed me to shift gears. Probably just needed a drive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54