Fuel issue I think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulrunyon

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado 1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have an 87 Silverado 4X4 with 350 TBI, 4 speed manual. Background: Noticed a slight banging sound during towing, initially thought suspension, but crawled under and noticed y-pipe touching cross-member due to front motor mounts deteriorated. Exhaust support in the area of Cat and muffler gone, so I temporarily lifted exhaust about an inch and wired in place until i can get the mounts replaced and new exhaust ran.
Took for a 10 min test drive, and when I was about to turn into driveway, truck started to lurch and basically die. Switched tanks and no improvement (both tanks full). Limped home and crawled back under. Noticed the spark plug wires had been in contact with exhaust manifold. Replaced all wires and plugs along with fuel filter. Ordered fuel pressure tester for the TBI and will test once it gets here. Runs very rough and can't get to idle..When I can get it to idle, I physically see fuel spray from the injectors, but don't know if it's enough until I test the pressure. When i bought the truck a couple months ago, the guy had no idea why it would sputter when running on the LH tank, but ran fine on the RH tank. Does this sound like a fuel pump issue, or possibly the fuel tank switch? It's just weird that it occurred while driving and just after I lifted the exhaust pipe. I looked to see if the exhaust pipe contacted anything when I raised it up, but nothing that I can see. I also wonder if the cat decided to crumble, but I was very gentle... Ideas?
Code 13 - O2 sensor
Code 44- Lean condition are present.

Last edited:

paulrunyon

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado 1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I checked around a bit last night. Had the wife turn on the ignition and heard both pumps kick on when they were supposed too and saw plenty of fuel spray... Pulled the cap off the dizzy and pretty sure that's the problem. The contacts had a lot of corrosion and one of them had notch marks where the rotor contact was cutting into it as opposed to touching the bottom. Will put on this weekend along with a new O2 sensor...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1