Front end lowered problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Hmmm. In all the years of lowering truck and cars, I have never heard that issue before using oem control arms. My 84 is bagged, lays out the engine cross member and I have the oem arms without any issues. If you have tube upper arms and oem lowers, that may explain why you already have cleanace issues as well as the camber out. Not being aligned also adds to the clearance issues at the moment. All of the parts need to be installed, alignment has to be done before going further with making or needing more clearance on the fenders.

That’s my plan man. Since the first time I noticed the issue, I decided to finish the install, get an alignment and then make my decision how to go further from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yep...it's always something

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Passenger side

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size

Drivers side

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
I have come to the conclusion I need smaller tires at least and maybe a larger diameter rim with a positive offset. I just can’t figure out how to measure for what I need. All the googling hasn’t helped. Looking for someone with a similar set up so I can get an idea of what I need to buy.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
You will need some 50 series tires up front for sure. Something like 265 x 50 r 15. A reputable tire shop can lead you in the correct direction...after having the front end aligned. I am guessing that your current tires are 265 x 75 r 15? Go with a tire as wide as the rim and as low of a profile....either 50 series or even a 45 series tire. The tall profile of your current tires is what's causing a major part of the clearance issues.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
You will need some 50 series tires up front for sure. Something like 265 x 50 r 15. A reputable tire shop can lead you in the correct direction...after having the front end aligned. I am guessing that your current tires are 265 x 75 r 15? Go with a tire as wide as the rim and as low of a profile....either 50 series or even a 45 series tire. The tall profile of your current tires is what's causing a major part of the clearance issues.

They’re actually 30x9.5 r15 according to the side wall

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Geez...30" tires...it's no wonder you're rubbing.

Up front I have 285x45r20 and out back 305x40xr20. I have the same wheels since back when I was static dropped 6 front 9 rear. The only rubbing was the top of the tires on the front inner fenderwells. ..which I removed and fabricated my own using 16 gauge steel sheet. My front and rear wheels are equal inset and offset. I dont have any rubbing issues u less of course I forget to air up the suspension after being parked at shows. My header flanges contact the pavement when I dump the air out of my bags. The rear tires lay out on the upper wheel wells as well.

You need wheels with less positive offset. Your current wheels have too much.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI

I left the rear fenderwells in the original position. I didnt raise them. The rear tires touch the rear fenders when the air is out of the rear bags....its a theft deterrant. ..lol

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I left the rear fenderwells in the original position. I didnt raise them. The rear tires touch the rear fenders when the air is out of the rear bags....its a theft deterrant. ..lol

I had this arguement with a FB warrior the other day in a theft deterrent post. I put I just air it out and take the switch box with me. He assured me that any "decent" tow truck driver (he was a master of course with 25+ yrs experience) could still take it with the frame on the ground and cause zero damage to the truck.....

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had this arguement with a FB warrior the other day in a theft deterrent post. I put I just air it out and take the switch box with me. He assured me that any "decent" tow truck driver (he was a master of course with 25+ yrs experience) could still take it with the frame on the ground and cause zero damage to the truck.....
Last time I checked...dragging any vehicle with the frame touching the ground causes damage. Gotta love fb warriors...they always make me giggle

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Geez...30" tires...it's no wonder you're rubbing.

Up front I have 285x45r20 and out back 305x40xr20. I have the same wheels since back when I was static dropped 6 front 9 rear. The only rubbing was the top of the tires on the front inner fenderwells. ..which I removed and fabricated my own using 16 gauge steel sheet. My front and rear wheels are equal inset and offset. I dont have any rubbing issues u less of course I forget to air up the suspension after being parked at shows. My header flanges contact the pavement when I dump the air out of my bags. The rear tires lay out on the upper wheel wells as well.

You need wheels with less positive offset. Your current wheels have too much.

Pictures aren’t loading, but I get you. These are stock rims so should be 0 offset. After some reading I think I need more positive offset to bring the front wheels inside the front fenders. Other sites/forums are saying I need +19mm but I can’t find any decent looking rims with that offset. For $1300 I could get custom ones, but that’s a big chunk of change right before Christmas with 5 kids. Lol

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I hear ya....wheels and tires suck to buy.

Talk about dropping coin, I just bought a full air ride setup for my 64 c10 today...picking up all the parts tomorrow. This is my early xmas present to myself. Once the weather gets cooler, my daughter and I will resume the build. Its been too damn hot to even THINK of welding and cutting the frame on my 64. I figure if I spend money before November stocking parts, I can still budget for xmas. I have 3 kids myself.

I ditched the oem rally wheels long ago. I wanted a larger wheel and the widest I could cram in there and less sidewall. The rears are 12 inch wide, fronts are 8.5.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
I threw on some craigslist 205/65r15 on the front and took it for a test drive...no rubbing!!!!!!

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size