Front disc dragging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heviarti

Reaction score
First Name
Buck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
383 Stroker
Has anyone here had trouble with one of the front disc brakes dragging? It seems that the left front has enough extra drag on it that it doesn't quite spin freely. Hub heats a little bit.
I took it apart, repacked the outside wheel bearing, cleaned up the two pins the caliper rides on, and greased the pins with some lubriplate. It does look like I'll need to do wheel bearings soon, but that doesn't answer for extra pressure on one side. I also popped the bleeder to see if maybe there was pressure stuck in the caliper. I only got the normal drip out of the system. Other ideas appreciated.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Dragging Brakes

FRONT DISC BRAKES

Causes:

1. Corrosion deposits build up inside of the caliper along the piston seal. This prevents the piston from fully releasing, and causes the pads to slightly drag on the rotor.

2. Caliper slide joints/pins binding. If the slide joints/pins are binding, the caliper piston will release the inner pad but the outer pad will remain in contact with the rotor. This is often indicated by the outer pad wearing much faster than the inner pad.

If the brake is locked up, opening the bleeder valve will release any residual pressure being held in the line by a faulty hose or master-cylinder. If the brake remains locked up, inspect the caliper piston and slides for seizing or binding.

Sounds like you've already eliminated the slide pins and residual pressure in the line. As above, check the piston for ease of motion back into the caliper bore - rust under the boot.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Get a new caliper, they're cheap, unless it is new than it could be a bad remanufactured part. Might clamp the caliper fully open then hit the brakes to close it, then repeat a few times, I'm betting a bad caliper though!

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
My brake lines were the problem. The right front would not release at times causing the truck to pull hard to the right. The rubber lines can collapse on the inside and act like a check valve, not allowing the caliper to release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt