Frankenstein headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Original headliner at the rear of my burb had been rented out to a family of mice that completely ruined it over the years . Material was also history so all went in the trash . I snagged another rear section from a donor burb but it was an AC model and mine is the peasant model with no AC . So had to carefully measure , cut and glue the two together. Couldn’t hide the join so I made it look like deliberate join that would already be there .
Material for everything was from hobby lobby on sale under $40 . Went with grey as finding blue that matched the trim would be hard .
Installing both pieces once covered was a real fight doing it on my own and rigged up straps to hold them in place while installing trim pieces that hold it up . Very time consuming to get a good result but was worth it . Made some hand prints in the foam material but they are slowly coming out .

You must be registered for see images attach

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Good work!

Headliners are not as hard as a lot of poeple think (I've done 4 or 5). Of course, something that big is harder than a regular cab truck!
Take your time, lay your material out to make sure it covers the entire piece. Spray the glue and slowly make your way left/right and front/back. It is easier with an extra set of hands.
Follow the instructions on the glue!

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Good work!

Headliners are not as hard as a lot of poeple think (I've done 4 or 5). Of course, something that big is harder than a regular cab truck!
Take your time, lay your material out to make sure it covers the entire piece. Spray the glue and slowly make your way left/right and front/back. It is easier with an extra set of hands.
agree its pretty straight forward . better if to have a decent headliner board to start with which i certainly did not . plus the two pieces are much longer and working on your own was a little tricky . this was my first but would do another one no problem

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Good work!

I’m trying to do one in my 86 suburban and I haven’t had much luck with headliners in the past. I was thinking about getting some really thin wood from Home Depot and creating the panels that way.

Do you have any suggestions for ways to do a headliner in this and what glue to use? I have never had good experience with glue on wood panels and most of my headliners have fallen down using either the 3M spray or the gorilla glue adhesive spray.

Maybe it’s because of how much heat hits that headliner. I’m not sure, but I just haven’t had much luck.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 15

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Do you have any suggestions for ways to do a headliner in this and what glue to use? I have never had good experience with glue on wood panels and most of my headliners have fallen down using either the 3M spray or the gorilla glue adhesive spray.
I'e used both 3m and Gorilla with no issues. Biggest thing with them is to make sure everyting is clean and dry. Spray both pieces and wait as directed (usually abut 5 mins) so both sides are tacky - this makes them stick together like crazy.

As far as building the backing, I've not had to do that part. The several I have built all had good bones but the material was falling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia