Frame rot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dlefler

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is my 84 k10 frame I'm in the rust belt of Illinois took the bed on and the frame looks pretty rough. Im guessing the frame rail is not supposed to be bent like this? I was thinking about having it fixed but not sure. The leaf spring hangers are rotted as well as the frame around and behind them.

Attachments

• IMG_20220221_110212720_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220221_110212720_HDR.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_20220221_110155619_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220221_110155619_HDR.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20220221_110047652_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220221_110047652_HDR.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20220221_110043561_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220221_110043561_HDR.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 253

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
In pic 2, the frame has rusted like filo pastry. Some slight bending can be fixed but overall I can't offer anything that would be of use to you. In a nutshell you've got one heck of a job ahead of you.
You must be registered for see images attach

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Please don't take me as doom and gloom.
There are other folks at GMSB that are wizards with metal and frames. I am not one and I feel they can offer better.

Dlefler

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There are other folks at GMSB that are wizards with metal and frames. I am not one and I feel they can offer better.
No problem i am new to all this and I'm just trying to get this truck somewhat solid to drive on the weekends or to work once in a while. I really think it's very cool how people can build these trucks I have a ton of stuff to learn but Im determined.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
In my honest opinion I would ditch that frame. You can see it's eaten away basically the whole frame, also once you get all of that scale off you won't have much metal left.
Im not even sure what's going on in front of that spring hanger lol

Dlefler

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In my honest opinion I would ditch that frame. You can see it's eaten away basically the whole frame, also once you get all of that scale off you won't have much metal left.
Im not even sure what's going on in front of that spring hanger lol
What year frames would work for the 84 body style?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
What year frames would work for the 84 body style?
81-87 will be the best match. You can make the earlier frames work as well, just some body mount modification from what we've been seeing lately, some other small stuff I'm sure. Keep your transmission/transfer case crossmember just in case and whatever else you can thats still any good.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Well Doug, (in my best bedside manner voice) “Your frame has lived a long life of service and is now just moments from death. I suggest you gather the family and a Priest and prepare for the inevitable”.

Try to find another frame, Preferably one from the south.

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
If restoring the truck, unfortunately that frame pretty much has to go. You could get away with patching or at least reinforcing some of the weakest areas, but it all looks pretty thin from what I can see, though I'm sure some parts are not nearly as bad as others. Especially when it gets "flaky" looking like that, those parts are just pure rust scale, all the grinding in the world wouldn't turn up shiny metal.

With that being said, that frame is by far not the worst I've seen (or driven around with). If you're currently driving the truck it's not like you have to park it immediately and find another frame ASAP, that one will hold together a while longer. It's got the cancer for sure, but it's not on its deathbed yet. I'm not saying "don't worry about it, the thing is fine" because it's not, but I'm also saying it could be much much worse. If you were to put the bed back on it and drive around once in a while it wouldn't just break in half tomorrow, but I would personally start looking for another frame eventually if I was serious about keeping that truck on the road. For now keep it clean, maybe oil it, don't take it over any jumps lol. You still got a little time to find a new frame.

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
If restoring the truck, unfortunately that frame pretty much has to go. You could get away with patching or at least reinforcing some of the weakest areas, but it all looks pretty thin from what I can see, though I'm sure some parts are not nearly as bad as others. Especially when it gets "flaky" looking like that, those parts are just pure rust scale, all the grinding in the world wouldn't turn up shiny metal.

With that being said, that frame is by far not the worst I've seen (or driven around with). If you're currently driving the truck it's not like you have to park it immediately and find another frame ASAP, that one will hold together a while longer. It's got the cancer for sure, but it's not on its deathbed yet. I'm not saying "don't worry about it, the thing is fine" because it's not, but I'm also saying it could be much much worse. If you were to put the bed back on it and drive around once in a while it wouldn't just break in half tomorrow, but I would personally start looking for another frame eventually if I was serious about keeping that truck on the road. For now keep it clean, maybe oil it, don't take it over any jumps lol. You still got a little time to find a new frame.
Agreed. Don't haul anything heavy either lol.

Dlefler

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Thank you for your help I appreciate the input!

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
81-87 will be the best match. You can make the earlier frames work as well, just some body mount modification from what we've been seeing lately, some other small stuff I'm sure. Keep your transmission/transfer case crossmember just in case and whatever else you can thats still any good.
Also try to find a k not c frame. The leaf hangers are different. Not to mention control arms vs straight axle in the front.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A friend purchased a 83 K20 and the frame looked like the surface of the moon like yours. It was Ziebart rust proof coated when new. The coating trapped in moisture and rusted out. The coating eventually fell off.

K10farmtruck

Reaction score
First Name
Kylend
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As a disclaimer and due to the abundance of rust free frames id have to agree with the majority and say junk it but ive cleaned up rust jacking similar to that on semi frames that gross 100k without issue. Would definitely have to clean it up to see whats actually going to be left before forming a final opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76