Ford Trash Talk Thread lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Funny, a couple of days ago I was doubting myself for buying the transmission, thinking I might have purchased it prematurely. But then I was reminded that you can never be too prepared when you drive a Ford.
I'm glad to hear that you're prepared. It's always nice having the necessary parts on hand when issues crop up. Usually a transmission is larger than most people keep on hand, but I get it. I have 2 spare TH350's. I think my dad forgot about the one I still have in his shed.

Good luck with the replacement! Hopefully it all goes smooth. Being in NV, at least you shouldn't have to deal with rotten cooler lines.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You are correct, thankfully I had enough common sense to order the new transmission last month and it arrived last week. When you own a Ford you best stock up on replacement parts before you need them. LOL Thankfully I have a great relationship with most of my clients, I mentioned the issue and was offered use of one of his lifts in a nice air conditioned private shop with back ground music even.

Funny, a couple of days ago I was doubting myself for buying the transmission, thinking I might have purchased it prematurely. But then I was reminded that you can never be too prepared when you drive a Ford.
During those model years the Exploder transmissions...did just that.I've known several that were out of state,and bam,trans gone! Tow all way back to Georgia! I noticed that those model years had trailer hitches,but never saw a trailer hitched to them.That tells me sumthin'.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have not used any Pennsylvania crude based oil in any of my vehicles since I learned what caused those deposits in the engines I had to work on.
And yet, many folks have sworn by Pennzoil religiously.
Maybe they got away with running it by always running the engine full operating temp every time it's started, and change oil often, or they didn't know or care and sold the vehicle before the engine needed to be disassembled.
I would not take a chance, so I always ran Valvoline or Castrol GTX.
Edit: now that I think about it, I have seen Quakerstate oil at Walmart.
hhave you guys seen that "made from natural gas" stuff? I only ask because I had bought a quart, only one in 5w20 at gas station.(11 dollars...) and it has a weird... "feel" about it. its the right viscosity, but the way it sounds in bottle, the way it pours, wipes up. Just strange. I hope thats a good thing but not my probllem if not. i wouldnt put it in my f150 lol. that has 5w20 only because I had to go through winter, my oil finally started suspending some stuff to be dirty, and I finally fixed spark plug sealing Its a good time to change back into good ol [whatever I have enough of] 10w30.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You mean like today, on the way to the lake, for work? I finished off the transmission on my way to the lake this morning. LOL So lucky I made it 50 miles home on high elevation mountain roads without having to find a Chevy to tow it home with. So now I just have to acquire a fresh transmission and a place to do the swap, and it's going to be 90 degrees tomorrow. This is sofa king not how I wanted the rest of the week to go.
what did it do?
You must be registered for see images attach

the 2003 explorer I was looking at recently has the 4.6 2(I hope 2 lol)v and the 5r55(suffix) transmission. I had an open mind to it not being **** until I made the ******* mistake of googling dipstick location.

THERE. IS. NONE.
You have to fill it from the bottom with a fitting and with the filler open, it wont let excess in. sure it sounds nice for the monkeys with ASE certification that also somehow cant read or measure or follow directions or do anything somehow.
He, if he can do the procedure it now takes, cant ******* overfill it and hopefully not just not put enough in I guess(who knows)

BUT FORD, I HAVE NO JACK, THINGS LIKE THAT I WOULD NEED TO DO THIS, far from home.. ugh. On gravel too.

So I took it for a joyride in a hot day and I mean joyride to make sure it would be warm, then I monitiored temps. without the short present, it still shifted GREAT and very crisp and no evidence of fluid leak and the temps were good. So I Just concluded it had enough mercon v in it, it would be wise to do a fluid change soon, and that the fix is highly between a new solenoid pack or you get that pan dropped, filter, and the potential the solenoid pack is fine but the ATF has too much metallic debris or magnetic rather and its something thats gonna prob plague it until rebuiid.

Either way, that person tried to bum money for gas yesterday so im guessing that neither path would be looked into
No idea about the pats thing since it never doesnt turn over or have any indicators on.

But at least they thought it was a magic trick when I told them what their keypad code was for the door. Litttle do they know its just a big ol button that says keypad code display or something and then it shows me. not that complicated lol

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
It has been showing signs of dementia for the last couple of years, more so in the summer months. Started with some shifting issues and then would shudder going up gentile hills with part throttle, then slow going into reverse and hard shift at part throttle, etc. Then the O/D off light would flash sometimes. To me it all looked like it was getting to the point where it would need to be replaced. (206,000 miles seemed to confirm this) I chose to trust my instinct and prepare so in case I was correct, I could minimize how much Ford based inconvenience I would have to deal with.

Worked from 11am to 5:30 pm yesterday and got everything disconnected, just one bolt left and then it's ready to drop this morning and hopefully the new will go in smoothly.

I was confused, pissed and not sure how to deal with the lack of a fill/dip stick tube also until I took a few minutes to understand how it works. You basically over fill the trans thru the drain plug and then let it flow out until it it gets to it's natural fill level. It has a tube that connects to the drain plug that extends about 4 inches up into the trans that sets the level.

The biggest surprise so far is the price of trans fluid, even with a thank God I know the right people 50% discount, it was still $11.00 per quart.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
You're seeing more and more new cars coming without dipsticks for both tranny and crankcase.
Ive had three different Volvo's. Somerime over the last ten years Volvo has done away with both.
I've read somewhere a tale that goes something like this.......

Volvo was trying to eliminate more warranty work. They did a survey in Europe of Volvo owners. 90% of owners never checked the oil. Furthermore 75% of that 90% didn't even know how to open the hood (or bonnet in the UK). So Volvo then started implementing a digital oil level on the touchscreen on the dash so people didn't need a dipstick.
I'm sure its not just the European's either. When was the last time you saw anyone open their hood at a gas station to check oil? Nobody does anymore.
Put gas in, turn the key, go and pull out their phones. Everyone figures the cars will tell them when to brake, when they have another car next to them, when they aren't between the lines on the road and when to put in oil. The pussification of America.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You're seeing more and more new cars coming without dipsticks for both tranny and crankcase.
Ive had three different Volvo's. Somerime over the last ten years Volvo has done away with both.
I've read somewhere a tale that goes something like this.......

Volvo was trying to eliminate more warranty work. They did a survey in Europe of Volvo owners. 90% of owners never checked the oil. Furthermore 75% of that 90% didn't even know how to open the hood (or bonnet in the UK). So Volvo then started implementing a digital oil level on the touchscreen on the dash so people didn't need a dipstick.
I'm sure its not just the European's either. When was the last time you saw anyone open their hood at a gas station to check oil? Nobody does anymore.
Put gas in, turn the key, go and pull out their phones. Everyone figures the cars will tell them when to brake, when they have another car next to them, when they aren't between the lines on the road and when to put in oil. The pussification of America.
I did the other day at the gas station, because my f150 doesnt have underhood light and its well lit lolbut I try and keep it okay because I lost coolant slowly for weep and I just like to make sure things are ok. has a ford c2 pump so you cant tell by hearing if its a cat dying or low or just fine

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
It has been showing signs of dementia for the last couple of years
My wife an I consider my K10 to be on hospice (that's why I have two squares). It's slowly rotting away around me as I drive it daily. I don't want to jinx anything, so I will wait until it's dead before I tell it's story.

Anyway, I still love it and prefer it over any Ford!

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I did the other day at the gas station, because my f150 doesnt have underhood light and its well lit lolbut I try and keep it okay because I lost coolant slowly for weep and I just like to make sure things are ok. has a ford c2 pump so you cant tell by hearing if its a cat dying or low or just fine
LOL....you don't count. Hell, you not only know what a dipstick is but where to find it on the engine after you open the hood.
You are definitely in a minority now.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It has been showing signs of dementia for the last couple of years, more so in the summer months. Started with some shifting issues and then would shudder going up gentile hills with part throttle, then slow going into reverse and hard shift at part throttle, etc. Then the O/D off light would flash sometimes. To me it all looked like it was getting to the point where it would need to be replaced. (206,000 miles seemed to confirm this) I chose to trust my instinct and prepare so in case I was correct, I could minimize how much Ford based inconvenience I would have to deal with.

Worked from 11am to 5:30 pm yesterday and got everything disconnected, just one bolt left and then it's ready to drop this morning and hopefully the new will go in smoothly.

I was confused, pissed and not sure how to deal with the lack of a fill/dip stick tube also until I took a few minutes to understand how it works. You basically over fill the trans thru the drain plug and then let it flow out until it it gets to it's natural fill level. It has a tube that connects to the drain plug that extends about 4 inches up into the trans that sets the level.

The biggest surprise so far is the price of trans fluid, even with a thank God I know the right people 50% discount, it was still $11.00 per quart.
did you replace the fluid or did you replace solenoids..?
the flashing OD light means the pressure control solenoid systems are not working right, and then it should set to a non flashing oD off and then the shifting is all wacky. but if you turn it off and turn it on or you take a hard left or you let it sit over night it maybe acts normal again right?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
LOL....you don't count. Hell, you not only know what a dipstick is but where to find it on the engine after you open the hood.
You are definitely in a minority now.
Very true.
just installed one of these bad boys because the line kinked to the rad tank, and i couldnt get it without breaking the damn plastic end tank.
So i cut my line and flare and go into aux cooler. but i found the cooler had a lot of junk come out. prob why it was overheating almost (210 degrees gets me anxious)

Attachments

• 654.jpg
    654.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 48

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Back in the day, I bought an '89 Cavalier with a 4 cylinder 5-speed power steering delete - when I finally sold it, there was over 300000 miles on it. Years later, I bought a used Dodge 1500 2wd with the 318 in it and when I wrote it off after hitting an elk, it had almost 355000 miles on it. My next was a commuter car - a Ford Fucos...... had it six months and it blew up on a Friday at 5:35pm, on the freeway..... the F150 I bought used right after pooped the bed after a couple months with both cam phasers and one cracked head.
My best luck has been with Chevrolet, not Buick, Olds or Poncho (I have had them all) and have had ZERO luck with Ford. I have friends who claim their Fords have never let them down, fine with me.

I have had many Square Bodies, and loved them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito