Flowmaster FlowFX Installs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
With flowmasters
You must be registered for see images attach

About 5mins later with them unbolted and hanging to the side. So there was no mufflers on this run.
You must be registered for see images attach

Buddy sent me this. Forum he is a member of. Wont beany where near as bad with less power but the point is made.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155811

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Good read from a trusted guy on another forum. Not linking it. Lol
From what I've seen on my dyno ANY similarly sized straight through design will out perform the Flow Master and this includes some glasspack "bullet" style mufflers that I bought at the exhaust shop for about $10 each. From our testing the Flow Masters while sounding good are generally no quieter than even these glasspacks on a 3 inch exhaust. Magnaflows, Dynomaxes and other straight through designs can quiet a 700 horsepower engine and not cost any power. The Flow Masters do sound good.....

A great test was last fall when I dyno tested a 511 Chevy. I had built the engine several years ago for a customer with a 1 ton 4x4 pickup. He had the truck all apart to do some fixing up and while the engine was out he wanted to dyno test it just for fun and to maybe find some power. We ran with some headers, mufflers and finally his entire exhaust system from his truck. When we swapped to it we lost about 20-25 horsepower across the board, torque was down about 30lbs/ft. He thought it was caused by the turn after the header needed to get around the transfer case. He had it set up so we could easily remove the mufflers which were right at the back of the system. We did this and the power was right back where it was with the previous combo of headers, and mufflers. Then we installed the Magnaflows on his system, no power loss. Then we switched to the $10 glasspacks, no power loss. This engine is built with oval port heads and 8.4:1 compression and a hydraulic cam. It made 430 horsepower and 530lbs/ft torque. As long as you were using the correct mufflers!
Thanks for that. I’m not really hung up on flow masters, but they were the hot thing when I was in high school. But now I don’t care what name is under the truck, I care more about what it costs the replace. I was considering glass packs just because of the price. But I’ve also heard good things about the hooker aero chamber, so idk. But I’m derailing this thread. Sorry guys lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Have you ever compared them to flow masters?

Like as far as power goes? On most any street engine with appropriate sized exhaust, you aren't going to notice a power difference between any particular performance muffler, imho.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Like as far as power goes? On most any street engine with appropriate sized exhaust, you aren't going to notice a power difference between any particular performance muffler, imho.
Yea that’s what I was curious about.

Chris Evans

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 Royal Sierra
Engine Size
350 V8
I had Flowmaster 40s w/ Ford Racing Shorty Headers on a 72 F100, and it sounded really good, except at highway speeds when the drone was pretty bad. Granted, I didn't replace the insulation of the truck, which would have probably helped a lot.

I just started tearing down the 350 for this truck. After rebuild and installing the new 700R4 I'll start shopping exhaust.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Ii had a 70 chevelle with long tubes and custom built stainless steel mufflers and pipes on a 327. They'd slip off a lot no matter how tight I'd tighten the clamps. So I hung coat hangers to hold them off the ground if they fell off. When they did it was LOUD when accelerating but, once cruising wasn't bad at all. Eventually fixed them so they didn't fall off. Lol

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
A friend of mine swore by purple hornies. Kinda like cherrybombs. Quiet inside but damn good and rowdy on accel outside.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I just put a new engine in my blazer, (gm. sp350/357 crate engine). I am still tuning on it but I have about 600 miles on it as we speak. My exhaust is heddman headers , 2 1/2 inch pipe , moroso spiral flow chambered mufflers , dumped just over the back axle with 3 inch tips.

Its sounds super mean at idle and at all rpm's , (no drone on at all) but I am over the loudness of it out in the hills , sounds like a drag car all the time.

So time to change it up and quiet her up a bit. I went the same size pipe, (2 1/2 inch), same headers , same routing , same exit , same tips. I added an h-pipe at the back of the t-case, (going up over the drive shaft), and borla pro xs packing mufflers.

It still sounds mean but way deeper tone. Its quiet at idle and highway cruise speed , (you can talk to each other on the highway with the top off now), but when you are on it its still pretty loud. Has a slight drone at 1,800 rpm , but not bad.

As far as power goes , by the seat of the pants feel , the h-pipe and the strait threw packing mufflers made no difference at all, (checking on a long freeway on ramp from bottom to first mph sign), than the no h-pipe and the chamber muffler's, but the h-pipe and borla's did tone it down a lot.

So I think that with big cubic inch motor's and or wild man small blocks , maybe exhaust selection is more important for power than stock to mild motors. I think for mild motor's just go for the sound you like the best.

My motor is 350 cubes , 9 to 1 , 600 cfm quick fuel off road carb. , hydraulic roller cam , 215*[email protected] , 223*exh.0.050 , .473 lift int. , 473 lift exh. , 108 lsa. and vortec heads , so its pretty mild.

So I have to go with bucket on this one, pick your favorite muffler and pipe size and go for it , and if you want an h or x pipe by all means do that to.

awd199

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Here are two short clips of my '78 with the FlowFX mufflers. The video volume isn't the loudest but you can get an idea of the sound of the muffler at idle. They do get loud when you put your foot in it. Reminds me of old school glass packs.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Here are two short clips of my '78 with the FlowFX mufflers. The video volume isn't the loudest but you can get an idea of the sound of the muffler at idle. They do get loud when you put your foot in it. Reminds me of old school glass packs.

Sounds good! Need a good rev vid...

awd199

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
That could happen in the next day or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL