Flatspotting tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Most of those old bias ply tires were designed to run at a much lower psi than we are all used to now. Ground Hawgs have a very tough carcass and really don't flex that much, compared to a modern type of tire. Most people actually ran too much psi in them, even for the street, which is why most of them go bald in the center of the tread. The trick is to find the right psi setting that gives you a nice even contact patch on the road, and that is different with every truck.
Especially with old tires I bet lol!

I was helping someone level their camper yesterday and the thing screams late 70s or early 80s and the tires are also the dismount from the 5 lock nuts and have an open center kind(trailer house axles like htis, but 14 not 14.5 like they seem to be a lot?)

Anyway, those goodyears which are on 3 wheels are looking pretty dated and they all are visibly out of round even over aired lol. The thing has sat without the tires moving for so long and half them went flat and stayed that way. Then one tire isnt even the same height but it was radial. I told them if they want to get a level playing field 4 matching tires that dont look worse than these bad boys:
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

which are on my buick and are about the same vintage. The front ones on the left there were slightly low and sunk a bit and it took a lot to lop out of the sunken spot even when i put air to them because they were like a wood biscuit they set right in there content to stay. Once i got just past by using the square, I was able to easily pull with my lawn mower. but it reminded me when the wheel got back to the flat by jerking the tow rope. I stopped pulling it when the flat was at about 9 or 2 so as to try and avoid the same situation.

but yeah that camper I told them even 4 old ass tires that been sitting in a shed might work better for what they wanted. If they werent on a concrete slab I would tell them to say **** it to the tires and get some levels and do it the hard way at each corner until things were square all around, then go do it again after things settled. once things were relatively not moving, pour some boxed concrete around under where they are supporting when its warmer right next to whatever they would have under it, then when cured put a twist jack and a solid board... but they asked if that could be done in one afternoon properly and I just didnt answer.

Good thing they have a slab...
I am going over with my valve core tool a new valve core and tire slime because they want to try and make their tires work and i said at least get one axle to have the same height on both sides and the other can wait since they dont have the same size remotely.. I also told them no guarantees on the slime and no guarantees the wheel wont rust worse. ONe thing they have going for them is that thing has a rigid as hell frame with some serious large box channel and very sturdy built, so they always can do it the harder way but that would be one and done if they just support the frame and make it level. But what do i knowwwww...... next they are gonna ask how to seal the roof and insulate it with a hole filled tarp and zip ties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK