Flatspotting tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Block 69

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I have a 90 Blazer that is all stock except for 7 inches of lift and 18.5X44in. tires. The tires feel like square blocks. After driving a little bit, this straightens out a little. It is much worse in colder weather. But even in the summer it doesn't go away enough to drive over 25 mph. Trying to speed up, it will get violent. Can anyone advise me? I had this issue with 12.5X38's, but it goes away after about a mile, winter or summer.

Thank You for any help!
Rick
Big Block 69

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Check your tire pressures, best bet is to drive them around every couple of months at least.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Number one: Are you driving the truck regularly? Tires will have mild flat spots after sitting for a few weeks or more.

Number two: What is the quality level of the tires? Higher-end tires will be less prone to flat-spotting than say an "economy" tire; with even some of the lesser tires taking dozens of miles to pound out.

Number three: Cold weather is also a contributor when the vehicle remains stationary for weeks - this is very common in the colder climates such as Canada and the American Mid-West.

Frankly, I would look at tire quality first.

Big Block 69

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
They are old bias ply Ground Hawgs. I do not go in the mud, I just like the look. I will try pumping the air pressure up and see if that makes it any better. I also have an old set of Super Swamper 12.5X38's (also bias plys) that do this, but not nearly as bad and they will clear up completely after about a mile. I live in south east Ohio and it does get cold here.
Thank you for the replies.
Rick
Big Block 69

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
They are old bias ply Ground Hawgs. I do not go in the mud, I just like the look. I will try pumping the air pressure up and see if that makes it any better. I also have an old set of Super Swamper 12.5X38's (also bias plys) that do this, but not nearly as bad and they will clear up completely after about a mile. I live in south east Ohio and it does get cold here.
Rick
Big Block 69
Im 99% positive the problem is simply the bias ply, the composition isnt the same as radials.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are they old bias ply???
That was going to be my exact question. Otherwise, I'd say bad shocks or not strong enough shocks for your lift and tire size. People do not understand the main purpose of a shock. It doesn't carry weight, and yes it does control body bouncing, but it's main purpose is to hold the tire to the pavement. You ever seen a car going down the freeway and a tire is dribbling like a basketball? That's bad shocks and will cause flat spots in tires from pounding the pavement.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
also the more plies and heavier the truck it will accentuate the behavior even more

You must be registered for see images attach

Dont mind this absolute low-effort paint job this wheel was incredibly rusty and I hit it with rusty metal primer and then when I had a white rustoleum "pro" can in hand I decided the brown would be white. that tire is older than the OP and me put together probably, and its also pretty heavy duty one. that thing I can park it for a few hours and it will move its flat spot and no matter how slow you crawl forward THUD THUD THUD for a solid moment or two but this is an old, worn, OLD, bias ply. Its only on the front because the bf goodrich has a broken cord and looses air.

then if you have a wheel which is not round, oblong one could say, you may see more pronounced issues as you have. Im only sayingthat to covers what ifs here, its 85% likely its your tire and hotrod was good to point out what may cause an otherwise fine tire to start behaving that way.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Rick
Big Block 69

I'm super jealous of your old Ground Hawgs. Good lord I'd sure like to find a set, lol.

Jack the axles up and give the tires a spin to check for excessive runout. I'm betting that you find a bunch. But for a realistic test, make sure to do it after driving it around for a while. If they aren't too awful out of round, it may be worthwhile to break them down and toss 16oz of BB's into each tire to help with the balance.

Also, if they are crazy out of round and shaped more like eggs, I find that running LOWER air pressure will actually help with reducing the shake. I'm talking running 10-12 psi.

Big Block 69

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Thank you all for your suggestions! I will start with the air pressure. I have been at the tire shop and saw a machine working that had a brand new 22.5 truck tire on it. The tire turned slowly while a small blade that looked like it was off of a can opener cut off what was out of round. I never considered that might be my problem.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thank you all for your suggestions! I will start with the air pressure. I have been at the tire shop and saw a machine working that had a brand new 22.5 truck tire on it. The tire turned slowly while a small blade that looked like it was off of a can opener cut off what was out of round. I never considered that might be my problem.

I didn't realize any tire shops still had those machines. That's pretty cool.

Big Block 69

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I want to thank you all for your replies. I pumped the pressure up to 30 and that seemed to have cured most of it. When I put them back on, I lowered each tire to just off the driveway and turned them. They seem very round. If this continues, I will try the BB trick.
Thank you again for all your suggestions.
Rick
Big Block 69

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm super jealous of your old Ground Hawgs. Good lord I'd sure like to find a set, lol.

Jack the axles up and give the tires a spin to check for excessive runout. I'm betting that you find a bunch. But for a realistic test, make sure to do it after driving it around for a while. If they aren't too awful out of round, it may be worthwhile to break them down and toss 16oz of BB's into each tire to help with the balance.

Also, if they are crazy out of round and shaped more like eggs, I find that running LOWER air pressure will actually help with reducing the shake. I'm talking running 10-12 psi.
would running that much lower pressure, assuming he has no load or trailer of course, cause any issues with the tires getting too hot or wearing excessive on the shoulders? Or is the idea to run them that way so they are warm and encourage it to a more "round" shape and eventually air back up? That may not make sense but I would be concerned using old tires at a large drop in psi especially if more weight is in the truck. do we know the ply rating? A higher ply would prob get hotter doing that than a lower.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
would running that much lower pressure, assuming he has no load or trailer of course, cause any issues with the tires getting too hot or wearing excessive on the shoulders? Or is the idea to run them that way so they are warm and encourage it to a more "round" shape and eventually air back up? That may not make sense but I would be concerned using old tires at a large drop in psi especially if more weight is in the truck. do we know the ply rating? A higher ply would prob get hotter doing that than a lower.

Most of those old bias ply tires were designed to run at a much lower psi than we are all used to now. Ground Hawgs have a very tough carcass and really don't flex that much, compared to a modern type of tire. Most people actually ran too much psi in them, even for the street, which is why most of them go bald in the center of the tread. The trick is to find the right psi setting that gives you a nice even contact patch on the road, and that is different with every truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400