Flatbed bed rails and tailgate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm going to make some be rails for my flatbed out of wood. Probably a 2x6 on each side with 2x4 supports. I want to make a drop in 2x6 tailgate that can either go at the end of the bed or 18in behind the cab for a catch-all spot. I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the tailgate, but keep it removable. So far all I've got is to make slots to drop it in using two 2x2 strips screwed to the inside of the rail.

Also, what kind of wood can i use that won't warp or rot? I've heard marine lumber is good..

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would use your idea or maybe fasten a piece of channel iron to the inside of the rail. That's how I did the tailgate board on my trailer.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I would use your idea or maybe fasten a piece of channel iron to the inside of the rail. That's how I did the tailgate board on my trailer.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Using steel is a good idea. My trailer has wood slots for the tailgate, it swells up in wet weather and the tailgate can be a hassle.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Of course! A couple short pieces of channel should work nicely. My brother suggested (try to follow me here) one of the metal junctions one might use when framing a building. The kind you nail to one board, then it has a cradle for another board coming off at a 90. But i think those are way too thin. I'd crush it with a four wheeler tire or something

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AzLuke