Fix Slamming Doors - Striker Door Latch Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fredflinstone

Reaction score
First Name
fred
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the tip. As soon as my 700R4 gets re-built I am going to drop by Lowes and try this trick.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
This trick worked great until I replaced my door seals! :bowroflwerd6: Gotta shut them pretty hard now to get them to close, at least until the seals take a set, but cruising in peace and quiet at 60+mph with nary a whistle is awesome.

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
I tripped across this thread some time ago. I was in Lowes a few days ago in the plumbing section. I saw the pex pipe and bought a piece. Long story short,,,, all my trucks have doors that shut easy! Completely shocked how well it works. I'm a believer now ,,,, thanks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This trick worked great until I replaced my door seals! :bowroflwerd6: Gotta shut them pretty hard now to get them to close, at least until the seals take a set, but cruising in peace and quiet at 60+mph with nary a whistle is awesome.

I was just inquiring about this on another thread. Wouldn't you want to adjust the door striker out a little after installing new seals? So as not to crush the new ones so much? Just always seems to me the old ones get so compressed and smushed over the years and you have to adjust the door to close tighter to keep a seal. So when you install the new ones you want it to close just tight enough to seal but not kill the "bulbing" action in the new seal. Maybe I'm just full of ****, just keeps nagging at my mind.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

firefighter-emt03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 suburban
Engine Size
Just did this today on the burb :) works great now all four doors close right the first time

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just did this today on the burb :) works great now all four doors close right the first time

Yah, I am trying to train my two girls to stop slamming them, lol! My doors shut so nice now you can shut them with a finger. :)

LedZeppelinXV

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
1985, 1977, 1975
Truck Model
C15, K25, C65
Engine Size
305 LE9, 350 Goodwrench, 366
how do you guys go about getting the pex to stop turning? super glue?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I"ve never used anything. What's wrong with it turning?

LedZeppelinXV

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
1985, 1977, 1975
Truck Model
C15, K25, C65
Engine Size
305 LE9, 350 Goodwrench, 366
i just figured it might get caught on the latch if the open end was facing out; but since you've had yours on for 2 years maintenance free, i guess it's bulletproof.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, I'm aware it does spin and it's never been a problem. I was thinking I'd address that problem somehow and then realized since it's not been a problem, there is an actual advantage to it rotating on it's own. Advantage being, it's not going to get worn in the spot being it rotates every time the door is opened and closed.

Lotus

Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I just tried the suggested repair. What a outstanding solution to a persistant problem. I think I got the PEX section (5 feet) for $2.01 w/tax) at the Home Depot. I fixed 2 doors within 20 minutes (coffee break between fixes). I figure out of a 5 foot section of tubing you can get 53 repairs allowing 1/8" between 3/4" long bushings.
Thanks for the great repair idea.....it made my day (week/months/years), as this problem been with me for years. Have 51 repairs left on my tubing, and my 75 Corvette is in need of the same medicine for the door.
I strongly recommend this solution if you have experienced this problem.

Gerry

P.S. I found this site via a Google search which listed this thread of door latch repair. Became an instant member, and looking forward to taping into the member's common sense repairs to our gm squarebody trucks. Will share those I found effective.
I use my squarebody for farming (haying), and day to day transport. Its been modified to also run on Propane, which was a real asset in the last gasoline run up in cost to $4.00/gal. Propane here was $1.75/gallon. A simple flip of a switch changes the fuel source.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just tried the suggested repair. What a outstanding solution to a persistant problem. I think I got the PEX section (5 feet) for $2.01 w/tax) at the Home Depot. I fixed 2 doors within 20 minutes (coffee break between fixes). I figure out of a 5 foot section of tubing you can get 53 repairs allowing 1/8" between 3/4" long bushings.
Thanks for the great repair idea.....it made my day (week/months/years), as this problem been with me for years. Have 51 repairs left on my tubing, and my 75 Corvette is in need of the same medicine for the door.
I strongly recommend this solution if you have experienced this problem.

Gerry

P.S. I found this site via a Google search which listed this thread of door latch repair. Became an instant member, and looking forward to taping into the member's common sense repairs to our gm squarebody trucks. Will share those I found effective.
I use my squarebody for farming (haying), and day to day transport. Its been modified to also run on Propane, which was a real asset in the last gasoline run up in cost to $4.00/gal. Propane here was $1.75/gallon. A simple flip of a switch changes the fuel source.

Thanks for the update. Always glad to hear it helped someone else and saved them a bundle in buying door latch mechanisms that were no needed.

And thanks for signing up and letting us know the search engine works.

mda

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Question on Pex

I went and got some 1/2" Pex and it looks too small. I still have my original bushings and the OD diameter is 9/16". Is this mod just working for those who no longer have the original bushings? What about 3/4" Pex?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, it replaces the OE bushing. If your bushing is there, you shouldn't be having a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69