Fix Slamming Doors - Striker Door Latch Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've had many, many of these Chevy trucks and on every one the driver's door had to be slammed if all the Windows were up. It seems that when the Windows were up it pressurized the cab closing the door. My current 86's doors close with light pressure with the Windows down, but closed have to be slammed. Even when new they were like this. And... The pex mod really works!! Thanks.

Remo76C15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Just replaced mine with new Doorman...wish I'd seen this post first!

havaduner

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Man, what a simple fix! I was trying to figure this one out ( I didnt know there was supposed to a bushing none of my doors have one) One more thing off my list to take care of. BTW, I bought a foot for .39 cents, so I didnt over spend either!!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Its a very easy cheap fix. So whoever is good at math. How many squarebody slamming doors can you fix with a 5 ft stick of pex for less than $3???

What??? Did you think this was a how to fix your door thread??? It wasn't. Its a test of your mathematical skills !!!

I glanced through the thread and didn't see an answer to this almost 9 year old question so... If you cut them slightly shorter so your waste is included in the 3/4" it would be 80. Otherwise I'd say 78.

Great fix!!! Mine are missing and luckily I have a plumber friend so it will be a totally free fix.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just stumbled across this post. Yep been slamming mine for years. I too didn't know anything was on that striker. I have been thinking of trying to adjust bit as well. Going to put the PEX on there. I just finished replumbing my guest bath and I have about 6ft of 1/2" PEX left over. Going to cut a small amount for my doors. Hoping this will change how they are closed. Will report back.

Edit: ok so I just put a piece of PEX on my striker. It shuts way better than it did before. But I wouldn't call it effortless. Nothing like my modern Toyota SUV's but I'm not slamming it so hard that I was worried about my glass breaking out (before I put all new window felt and runners in). I would say worth 100x what I paid as a fix...haha. Which was nothing.

I used my finger to measure (cut too long and had to trim it back) a piece off the 7ft or so hunk I had in my shed. Only to out it down on the work bench to cut it open and see that there was a three inch section (trim from the same job) laying there I could of used. Just that little piece on my bench could of fixed three squares I bet! Haha

Still happy with this fix. Nice tip!!

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 77 never had those on the strikers when brand new.Never have had to slam a door.Not even a rattle.Lots of the trucks back in the day did tho and that piece would crack and fall off

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just stumbled across this post. Yep been slamming mine for years. I too didn't know anything was on that striker. I have been thinking of trying to adjust bit as well. Going to put the PEX on there. I just finished replumbing my guest bath and I have about 6ft of 1/2" PEX left over. Going to cut a small amount for my doors. Hoping this will change how they are closed. Will report back.

Edit: ok so I just put a piece of PEX on my striker. It shuts way better than it did before. But I wouldn't call it effortless. Nothing like my modern Toyota SUV's but I'm not slamming it so hard that I was worried about my glass breaking out (before I put all new window felt and runners in). I would say worth 100x what I paid as a fix...haha. Which was nothing.

I used my finger to measure (cut too long and had to trim it back) a piece off the 7ft or so hunk I had in my shed. Only to out it down on the work bench to cut it open and see that there was a three inch section (trim from the same job) laying there I could of used. Just that little piece on my bench could of fixed three squares I bet! Haha

Still happy with this fix. Nice tip!!
It's likely to get a bit better when the Pex wears just a little and finds a happy home and mates to the latch a bit better.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Snowin & blowin here. just finished plowing w/ the K20 & decided enough is enough, time to fix the door latch. Made no progress pulling the panel and lubing the mechanism. Hit YouTube & found this. I gotta say I thought yea, like that’s gonna work. Ten minutes later better than new and now to go unfreeze my digits. Much thanks.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Snowin & blowin here. just finished plowing w/ the K20 & decided enough is enough, time to fix the door latch. Made no progress pulling the panel and lubing the mechanism. Hit YouTube & found this. I gotta say I thought yea, like that’s gonna work. Ten minutes later better than new and now to go unfreeze my digits. Much thanks.
Is this fix on YouTube? I didn't see a video on the original posts, or did I and I don't remember?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've had many, many of these Chevy trucks and on every one the driver's door had to be slammed if all the Windows were up. It seems that when the Windows were up it pressurized the cab closing the door. My current 86's doors close with light pressure with the Windows down, but closed have to be slammed. Even when new they were like this. And... The pex mod really works!! Thanks.
I have found the same thing with pressure.

Hotrodspdx

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I was skeptical myself and went ahead and tried it. Pex truly worked like a charm on both my K5 doors... I even went with the RED !

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Great tip! I've got plenty of pex to do tons of squarebody doors. Gonna be a lot better than the electrical tape I've been using. Thanks!!

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Browsing the forum and came across this, thought, well, i'll try anything at this point....

"HOLY SH*T SNACKS WHAT KIND OF WITCHCRAFT IS THIS??!!"

It totally worked for me.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I went with the replacement bushings from classic parts. $1.49 each.
Since I was buying vent window weather stripping and window washer tubing it didn't cost any extra for shipping.

You must be registered for see images attach

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
So how many squarebody slamming doors can you repair for under $3. Anyone want to guess??? I was told about this trick long ago. Finally got frustrated enough today, and I happen to be out and about and dropped in at Lowe's for a piece of plumbing.

attachment.php

This is a 5 foot stick of 1/2 PEX sold in the plumbing dept pre cut. I got it for $1.98 plus tax to a total of $2.14.

My ears thank you for not having to hear me slam doors so hard anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128