Fix Slamming Doors - Striker Door Latch Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Igram

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
After i had made the assumption that slamming 33-42 year old doors was just an inevitability, i see this thread, LOLx3.......I currently own an 86 C20, an 83 K20 and a 77 K20........Im looking forward to trying this, and as i have already messed with the pass side striker on the 77, they are easy to remove as long as you have the large Torx bit, which thankfully i do...........Kudos to the person who posted this great "spare change from the sofa cushions" fix

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I pexed both my doors a few weeks ago.
Best $2 I ever spent, and I still have enough tubing to last me years.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My 40 year old doors must have been babied because i dont need to slam mine lol

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
My 40 year old doors must have been babied because i dont need to slam mine lol
Must have been!
My passenger side wasn't too bad, but the driver's side definitely was.
No issue now, though.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I hate to show my ignorance, but which problem does this address?

Last edited:

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
The strikers on the doors have plastic over them (where the door latch wraps around them).
Due to age and saggy doors, the plastic gets broken off, and you need to slam the door to get it to latch easier.
Take some pex pipe from Lowe's, cut a piece to fit, slit it, and wrap it around the striker. Now your doors shut nicely again.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So it's a matter of the latch slipping over the PEX much easier than over the striker's bare metal. I recently installed new door seals, which makes the doors even harder to close, for a while at least. So I may try the PEX fix today!

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
So it's a matter of the latch slipping over the PEX much easier than over the striker's bare metal. I recently installed new door seals, which makes the doors even harder to close, for a while at least. So I may try the PEX fix today!
Yep. And I'd definitely try it. Can't do anything but help.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
If you stare real close and close the door over and over you can see the plastic bushing(pex, garden hose, or tape) acts like a shock absorber for the latch mechanism. Without the shock absorber the latch mechanism kind of bounces off/around the striker. So slamming the doors harder is actually going to cause more shock/wear to the latch and striker.

Bob Igram

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just did it to the 86 and the 77.........the 83 still had what i assume to be factory bushings.........I also discovered another use for the PEX, ive got the factory camper mirrors, code DF2 that can either be swung inboard or out, and naturally a previous previous owner caught the drivers side mirror on something, and almost tore if off the door.........Thin pieces of the PEX fit in between the mirror arms and the door! Yeah its kinda cheesy, but the mirror doesnt rattle any more........Its a $1600 dollar truck, that appears to be low miles, near perfect interior, runs drives well

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just did the mod on my 82 after reading this thread. It helped a lot on the passenger side, but not too much on the drivers side. But that's probably because the drivers side door needs new hinge pins.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
After i had made the assumption that slamming 33-42 year old doors was just an inevitability, i see this thread, LOLx3.......I currently own an 86 C20, an 83 K20 and a 77 K20........Im looking forward to trying this, and as i have already messed with the pass side striker on the 77, they are easy to remove as long as you have the large Torx bit, which thankfully i do...........Kudos to the person who posted this great "spare change from the sofa cushions" fix

What size Torx?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara