Finally ordering the lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
Hey guys, planning on ordering a 4 inch lift from RC tomorrow and I just had a few questions. Who all thinks i should get the steering box frame support as preventive maintenance? It hasn't cracked the frame there yet, but I do wheel this thing from time to time. Also, I'm concerned that with my power steer will not fully work at stand still with the bigger tires. It already lags occassionally with 32s. How do I combat this? Also do you guys recomend extended brake lines over the relocation brackets? Also, dual or single stabilizers?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
There are better riding lifts than RC, but the price might be cheaper on that brand. Definitely get a steering frame support. They crack with stock tires- so will be a matter of time with larger tires and more stress.
There are better power steering pumps out there that will do more pressure and volume.
If you still have stock brake lines might as well buy new ones that are longer. Stock ones are old and can have issues.
A single stabilizer should be fine as long as it is in good working order.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’d install the frame brace.
And factory power steering should turn big tires no problem. Your steering pump is probably just old and weak. Pump on my 86 of unknown vintage turns 35s on dry pavement without even a whimper.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
I actually just replaced it in march. It is remanufactured tho.....

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I ordered RC because it was inexpensive. By the time I replaced the front springs with TC, ditched the shocks that RC supplied, and figured out the brake line extension brackets didn’t work, I ended up paying way too much for some 4” blocks and a raised steering arm.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You might want to order a back brace and kidney belt while you’re at it.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Thanks for the response. What are the benefits of dual?
It looks cool.

Some say you need them when you run tires that are very wide or above something like a 37" tire. And maybe if you are doing high speed desert runs...

I run 37s and have just a single stabilizer that is probably 10 years old. Don't have any issues.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys, planning on ordering a 4 inch lift from RC tomorrow and I just had a few questions. Who all thinks i should get the steering box frame support as preventive maintenance? It hasn't cracked the frame there yet, but I do wheel this thing from time to time. Also, I'm concerned that with my power steer will not fully work at stand still with the bigger tires. It already lags occassionally with 32s. How do I combat this? Also do you guys recomend extended brake lines over the relocation brackets? Also, dual or single stabilizers?
If you need the longer front brake lines - in braided stainless - I have an un-used set I'd let go for alot less than new. Mine is about a 2" lift and they are too long for me - I had custom ones made exactly the length I wanted. Got these from Inline and even they say they are best suited for 4-6" lifts.

:hat:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Should I be concerned about braking with the big 35s?
You'll find out pretty quick. Seems like some don't have any problems but my stopping distances were, depending on speed, about equal to either a freight train or a cruise ship. Fixed it with a hydroboost conversion.

76K10

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There are better riding lifts than RC, but the price might be cheaper on that brand.
There are better riding lifts than RC, but the price might be cheaper on that brand.
Looking into a lift for my 76 K10. Anyone care to share their opinions on the best lift out there? I'm probably going to go with 33's on a 2". I would like to have a smoother ride than what I have experienced with Rough Country in the past. And GO...

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Take it to a local spring shop and have them make what you want?
Eric

Reactions: WFO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad