final prep for vortec head swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey it's your money bud. I'm just trying to help. .. just know idle and driving under 1500rpm will not be so good:( idle mainly.
anyhoo best off luck to ya bud.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

While mine wasn't a single plane, I had a air gap high rise and it kills your bottom end. Works really good if you want to cruise down the highway in 2nd gear at 4500 RPMs. Just don't disregard the advice is all. Give craigslist a leak. You can probably trade yours for a performer. I just traded a junk edelbrock carb for a performer intake. Didn't cost me anything. You want be unhappy with your current one, because you won't know the difference. You will just be happier with a duel plane.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Crap I quoted the wrong post lol

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Your truck will hate a single plane and will be a bit gutless down low. You will sacrifice more low and mid than you will gain in the top end. To make a single plane work, you need a lot more cam and a lot more stall. And more gear too.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
i know the intake isnt the best. but lets ignore that for now. i have to either swap to electric fuel pump or get a cam with the mech fuel pump lobe on it.

so im just going with the electric pump, leaving the cam alone, and swaping straight up.

i remember reading something about leaving the mech pump and just adding the electric one. the mech pump currently installed is from advance auto.

are the replacement fuel pumps the flow through type?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
just find a fuel pump block off plate...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Even if you did save the 5 bucks on not getting a block-off plate, you wouldn't run the fuel through the non-op fuel pump. You would just run the line from the electric pump to the carb (with a filter of course).

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Even if you did save the 5 bucks on not getting a block-off plate, you wouldn't run the fuel through the non-op fuel pump. You would just run the line from the electric pump to the carb (with a filter of course).

gotcha the vortec came with a block off plate anyways

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay