Favorite tool brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
As I'm wanting to become a mechanic and I want to know what's your favorite tool brand to use and why? Also any cool tools you have or know of?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have 90% Snap-on they are a bit more comfortable. But when I got most of my stuff it was before other company's were making smooth finish tools. Craftsman are ok too but since Stanley bought them not sure of the quality. Just remember you go to work to live not to buy tools. Like I used to tell the annoying Matco guy I come to work to make money not spend it..

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I have 90% Snap-on they are a bit more comfortable. But when I got most of my stuff it was before other company's were making smooth finish tools. Craftsman are ok too but since Stanley bought them not sure of the quality. Just remember you go to work to live not to buy tools. Like I used to tell the annoying Matco guy I come to work to make money not spend it..
Yeah that makes sense. I probably have bit of everything.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Actually I have enough imported tools. Canadian Tire sells Mastercraft... the upper end are guaranteed for life. I wait until they have a 70% off sale.
Recently I bought a set of ratchet wrenches, 24 i metric and standard. My God, where have ratchet wrenches been my whole life? I love these things. Try buying a set from Snap-On... hang on to your shorts cause they're about to get blown off.

Soon I'll be buying an Everlast tig welder. About $5000 less than a Miller, which has imported parts in it anyway these days.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Actually I have enough imported tools. Canadian Tire sells Mastercraft... the upper end are guaranteed for life. I wait until they have a 70% off sale.
Recently I bought a set of ratchet wrenches, 24 i metric and standard. My God, where have ratchet wrenches been my whole life? I love these things. Try buying a set from Snap-On... hang on to your shorts cause they're about to get blown off.

Soon I'll be buying an Everlast tig welder. About $5000 less than a Miller, which has imported parts in it anyway these days.
What's wrong with Princess Auto?????:happy175::happy175::happy175:

1980Spartan

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Great question.

I have a ton of craftsman tools. I also have some alltrade and snap-on tools. Snap-on makes a great tool, but man are they spendy! I just can't justify spending tons of money on em all the time. That being said, quality tools are important to have. When you only have one shot at something and can't strip a head or are in a hard to reach spot, higher tolerances and materials can make the difference.

Conversely, I'm a huge fan of the disposable tool. You never know when you might need to cut a wrench in half to get to something. Do you want to cut your snap on in half and deal with the snap on dealer asking questions when you want to exercise your warranty or do you just want to cut a 1.50 Pittsburgh Steel Harbour Freight wrench in half and be done with it after you get the bolt off? I know my answer, but I only speak for myself!

The other applicability of cheap tools is in your roadside/breakdown toolbox. I've had a few buddies keep their grab bags in the bed boxes for when they on the break on the trail or blow something up out and about. Some of those same guys have had their nice craftsman/snap on tools stolen in the middle of the night or while their truck was at the grocery store. Their roadside setup=250$, mine=60$. If I break a tool and can't fix it there, I'll wait the three hours for a tow truck.

Just a few thoughts!

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I just discovered a brand I had never heard of - Williams. Apparently they are made by Snap-On, but are a subsidiary brand. You can get them on Amazon etc. Made in USA, and about half-way between Craftsman and Snap-On/other truck brands in price. No idea if they are any good but they seem promising!

As far as Craftsman... I own a lot of their tools. BUT. I bought them before they went chinesium. I've decided at this point that I will no longer buy craftsman tools. If I'm going to buy chinesium, I'm going to buy honest chinesium that owns up to it. Craftsman slid it in under our noses and ruined an ancient brand. I don't forget that sort of thing. I'll buy Kobalt from now on. Decent tools at decent prices, and they don't claim to be anything more than they are. Chinesium.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'll go there...

Pittsburgh/Harbor Freight. Lifetime warranty on handtools, and 2 year plans on anything I care enough about electronically, which for me is only my welder lol. But I get a new one every 2 years for 32 bucks.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
a lot of my sockets and ratchets are craftsman simply because it's not all that high priced and the lifetime warranty so when/if one breaks I can get a new one for free. Is a good value and so far I've never had an issue getting one warrantied.

My favorite hand tool is probably my Ingersoll Rand battery powered impact

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
My favorite hand tool is probably my Ingersoll Rand battery powered impact

One of my weddings gifts was a Milwaukee Fuel M18 impact, the little one. Man, I pulled an entire 6.0 with that thing in about 2 hours, amazing!

CCSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1985 & 1986
Truck Model
C10 & K5
Engine Size
4.3 & 5.7
I have mostly Proto, Hazet, and Gedore at work and like all three however I work for a German company. As far as home use, my toolbox has so many different brands. Anything from Snap-on to China freight.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
My favorite tool brand when it's automotive is my old Proto set...still have my first service set and box that I bought around 94, nothing broke yet. Back then, this was a 15k set. Nowdays Proto sort of sucks for quality. Being an industrial electrician, my hand tools at work have been good 'ol Pittsburgh with the exception of Proto ratchets...everything else is Kline. Very expensive because half of them have to be 1,000 volt insulated so one pair of pliers can be around $50, but only broke one in 14 years.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I have a solid mix. My grandfather was a mechanic and he set me up with the beginnings of my tool assortment, and what he gave me was all Mac, Snap On, Proto, and SK. Over the years as I added to my collection I have mostly bought Kobalt, as it seems to be a decent product for the cost. My pay grade does not allow me such luxuries as Snap On or Mac. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard