Fair price for 1987 TBI engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaosrob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a rebuilt 350 TBI in my 87 V10 that I am going to pull and replace with a 2001 6.0. I have the paperwork for the rebuild, the tbi was rebuilt as well and new injectors installed. The engine has ~4k miles on it at this point and is a stock rebuild. Brand new ac delco sensors, Harris Stage one prom and the list goes on. What do you think a fair price for this engine would be, I know not even close to the rebuild price just curious how much I may be able to recoup. TIA

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Honestly, it probably depends on if you can find the right buyer. Around me, a typical used tbi 350 goes for 200-300, depending on how many are on c-list at a given moment. Obviously, yours is worth more having only 4k miles documented since the rebuild. The trouble I could see with getting a fair amount for it, is that amount is probably close to what a lot of people nowadays would look to spend on a used LS to swap. If you can find the person looking to drop a turnkey tbi into their ride, you'll be golden.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
The most I have gotten for a 350 tbi was $500. First one sold for $350, next two for $500. Leaving it running untill person looks at it seem to be a key for me. You might get $200-$300 more depending on the market but as was mentioned the prices of ls motors make it hard.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
The most I have gotten for a 350 tbi was $500. First one sold for $350, next two for $500. Leaving it running untill person looks at it seem to be a key for me. You might get $200-$300 more depending on the market but as was mentioned the prices of ls motors make it hard.

I think the 'leaving it running" would be a big plus cause the buyer knows exactly what the condition is.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
I got $500 from the one from my ‘91 v2500 (4-bolt). Unknown rebuild history. I advertised it as running in the truck but when the guy came and looked at I couldn’t get it started - flex plate had finally given up. The guy was a mechanic and knew exactly what was going on and he still agreed on the $500. (Helped that I had several you tubes of me driving it, idling, etc.). He even helped me pull it out. I agree on finding the right buyer - he needed it as direct bolt in for another TBI burb

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
have another vehicle you could drop it in to show it runs or sell whole to get more money ?

chaosrob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
No sir but it is still in the truck and will be until next Tuesday. I have made 6 hour drives in it no issue
have another vehicle you could drop it in to show it runs or sell whole to get more money ?

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you need it out before you sell it, take a video of it running and then a shot of the daily newspaper so the potential buyer knows the date that the vid was taken. I've done that before with outboard motors when I had to pull an engine off a boat for a swap but hadn't sold the engine yet.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
For comparison, I have another one for sale now for same price as previously sold motors, except it is out on a stand. Nobody wants to buy it.

chaosrob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I may just try to find a nice roller to put it in

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Be sure to advertise which years and models (C, K, Blazer, Suburban, etc) it will work in, for wiring compatibility. I'd say $500 or maybe even a little more would be a killer deal for someone looking to replace a worn out engine with a recently rebuilt one. There are tons of guys out there who just want a good-running stock engine, and they wouldn't even consider an LS swap with all the work and parts required.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
If the engine is that good.ask 500 and sell it and move on.give some one a break on the motor.pay it forward.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Where are you located I need one for my 87

Forum statistics

Threads