Factory hei distributor and coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Howdy all,

My distributor and power steering pump are the last original things on my old 85 build. Is there any merit to a high performance distributor and coil? Or should I refresh the factory gm coil (new ac Delco coil, cap, and rotor)?

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
If it works, run it. You're not going to pick up 3 seconds in the ¼ mile changing to a fancy billet distributor with outboard electronics, but you might look cooler at the hoods up parking.

But I'm a cheap, grumpy old bastid like that....

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
And a universal hei is not tailored for your car so unless you are going to spend the time ,evaluating,changing,weights,springs,vacuum rate,and vacuum degrees you aren't doing yourself any favors. You could actually end up with less than you have now. And many aftermarket parts don't have the same life expectancy of original parts.

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
And a universal hei is not tailored for your car so unless you are going to spend the time ,evaluating,changing,weights,springs,vacuum rate,and vacuum degrees you aren't doing yourself any favors. You could actually end up with less than you have now. And many aftermarket parts don't have the same life expectancy of original parts.
Sounds good. I’ll just get a new ac Delco coil, rotor, cap and make it new.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Sounds good. I’ll just get a new ac Delco coil, rotor, cap and make it new.
Put the cap and rotor on. Save the coil in the glove box. Even the new Delco coils are made overseas. Unless you see physical damage, ie overheat discolored or crud melting out, the old coil is better.

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Put the cap and rotor on. Save the coil in the glove box. Even the new Delco coils are made overseas. Unless you see physical damage, ie overheat discolored or crud melting out, the old coil is better.
Sounds good. I’ll just go cap and rotor. Coil looks perfect and this was a garage kept truck it’s entire life.

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Sounds good. I’ll just go cap and rotor. Coil looks perfect and this was a garage kept truck it’s entire life.
Other caveat to this is I’m excited to see how the sniper setup works with this old coil.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
In another thread you said you were using a Howard’s hydraulic roller cam, what’s the peak rpm? An HEI distributor is a fine piece but if you’re hitting higher rpm’s you may want something a little better.

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
In another thread you said you were using a Howard’s hydraulic roller cam, what’s the peak rpm? An HEI distributor is a fine piece but if you’re hitting higher rpm’s you may want something a little better.
It’s a low end cam. Pocket rpm is 1400-4900.

73cheyenne

Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You might want to carry a spare HEI control module too. If it quits you're not going anywhere. I had one quit a long time ago.

Long Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What 73cheynne said but take the small tube of grease that came with it too. I think the two most common thing that brought Cs and Ks into our shop on a hook were control modules and the white colored rotors. Not sure what GM was doing to the white rotors, but they were a very common fail. If you put a control module on without putting grease on the bottom of it, I can almost promise it will fail because of heat.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's not grease, it's heat sink paste like a computer processor uses,and genuine GM modules as well as the premium brand NAPA modules have a very low failure rate,they also are the only modules I'm aware of that vary dwell to optimize coil saturation and also make the coils life easier and longer.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Howdy all,

My distributor and power steering pump are the last original things on my old 85 build. Is there any merit to a high performance distributor and coil? Or should I refresh the factory gm coil (new ac Delco coil, cap, and rotor)?
The GM HEI is actually an excellent ignition system, and, since it came from the factory on your truck, it is tailored specifically for your engine. Aftermarket units may not be. Also, they often become obsolete - can't get service parts any more. Keep it stock.

J. B.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Howdy all,

Also, while you have the rotor off, try to wiggle the distributor shaft sideways. There shouldn't be any play. If there is, then you have to either get a new one for your truck or replace the bushings in your present one.

J. B.

dhartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
Other caveat to this is I’m excited to see how the sniper setup works with this old coil.
So before we tore down for the ground up complete resto, we had the standard HEI coil and distributor on our small bock 350. Also had the sniper carb, it preformed fabulously. Never had a single issues. Turn the 1980 in to a turn key like the 90 and up trucks ran amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crick13