Factory Air Cleaner Housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm wanting to use the OEM housing on my 85. Couple questions come to mind.

1. Will a standard 14" aftermarket filter fit?

2. Will the housing clear my HEI?

I'm thinking I can find something in the junkyard but I know of a few 88+ burbs to pick from, but they probably got this and a different configuration? I'm not opposed to modifying/fabricating things to work.

The goal is to make it look more factory and plumb the snorkel to the original birdcage on the core support.

I'm also running an Edelbrock 1406.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You need to make sure the base has this dimple at the rear for the HEI. I don't think a 14" air filter fits inside the OEM housing. I know they do in a 6.2 diesel air filter base. I would look for the tall air cleaner lid as it's 2" taller than the one you pictured.

Also starting in '87 the snorkel portion of the air cleaner based for EFI (picture #3). I don't know if the fresh air tube is available for those models.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I appreciate the info. I wished I'd thought about this a few years ago when I had free reign to pillage a fleet of cucv's. I would have taken way more than the axles.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Factory truck housings will only fit a 12 inch air cleaner. However, if you look at the bottom of the pile here, the air cleaner on the bottom came off of a 71' Olds cutlass, and it will accommodate a 14 inch air cleaner, and the one in the middle is off of a 77 ish Pontiac and also will fit a 14 inch air cleaner. If they won't clear a HEI cap you can find a spacer from a 71-72 ish pickup that goes in between the carb and the air cleaner

Here is one of those spacers next to the thermostat housing.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
When I was using an Edelbrock 1406 my stock air cleaner would not sit evenly and clear the fuel fitting. Edelbrock sells a banjo fuel fitting conversion that might provide the fuel fitting clearance, but then you have to work around the hieght of the choke housing

The TBI spacer shown in the picture above will give you the clearance, but I found that it "clocked" the air cleaner differently and the snorkel did not point in the right direction. I used the Edelbrock plastic spacer for a while, and finally just decided to buy the Edelbrock air cleaner that fit the 1406.

If you decide to try an Edelbrock air cleaner, make sure you get one that clears the 1406 fittings. Unless they have changed them, the Edelbrock 14" air cleaner they stock at Advance Auto Parts will have the same fuel fitting clearance issues you have with the stock air cleaner.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64