Exhaust opinions and discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Heu guys 1982 6.2 diesel k20 suburban.

I just posted about a fuel filter, but that issues been resolved.
The stock exhaust on the v8 diesels comes out the headers, down pipe, into mufflers, out the other side makes that big bend upside U over the axle, then piped out behind each rear wheel.

I noticed my passenger side exhaust tip was sagging, upon further inspection I saw that it basically rusted out at the exit of the muffler and was just hanging up by a hanger near the rear passenger wheel, and a sliver on the exhaust.
I cut the hanger, cut the sliver and removed that section, if certainly would've broken that sliver bounced off the prop shaft during my next drive.

So now I have the full system on the driver side, and basically out the muffler and nothing on passenger side.

What is the best solution, what do you guys like? I mean it's still drivable as is. So I'm not in any rush to go to an exhaust shop
Dual straight pipe? Or I heard because as we know the 6.2 aren't a mountain of power and that each bank getting its own exhaust is "ridiculous" to make a Y exhaust into a single pipe after the headers.

As far as size of the exhaust, I mean of I bought a truck with a 3" exhaust, ok cool but I don't care much about having a massive stack or a gaping black hole where the exhaust pipe should live.

Honesty in my mind 2" is plenty. 2.5 or 3 if you have a turbo.

I'd just like some opinions on the matter, I thought maybe coz the exit of the muffler is around just forward of the rear wheels, to just have it come out there. Or do a muffler delete and straight pipe.

What re your experiences?
And, didnyou notice a gain in power or a certain lightness in the vehicle after due to the improved air flow?

Magna86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Magna86
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Chevy 350
Easier would probably be to get a new muffler and rebuild it as it was..If you need to replace more rusted pipe before the muffler then you can look into a "Y" pipe and a single or double outlet muffler. If you are going single exit route it need to be 3.5-4". If doing dual the pipe needs to be 2.25 to 2.5 but no need for bigger

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
I'm curious how much HP, if any, straight piping would do, or an after market muffler with less restriction would add.
Cheap HP is found in I take and exhaust before you go into injector, fuel pump, timing etc...
Also, I'm kinda liking the sound it's making, even if the muffler is still there.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't think that 6.2 needs to have anything bigger than a 3 inch pipe. That motor didn't have a turbo, it's an economy rather than a power motor. If you put a 6 inch pipe on it, it wouldn't help it, they just don't need the volume.

As an unfair comparison my '07 LBZ 6.6 was pushing 24 to 25 psi of boost at WOT. Stock it had 360 HP and 650 ft/lbs of torque. The Banks Monster Exhaust I installed on it was only a 4 inch pipe.

My current Duramax is 430HP and 913 ft/lbs of torque. I don't know how much boost it's running but the main pipe is about a 4 inch pipe.

You can put whatever you want but I don't see any 6.2 diesel needing a high volume exhaust. They just don't have the output.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
I 100% agree.
Like I said, I don't want a stack like the titanic had. Its ridiculous. Of anything it'll hinder performance. I'm already pretty sure that 2 2.5 is the max I'll go.

At this point I'm wondering snout muffler deletes and straight piping.

Ues, turbo engines move far more air and do better with a system built for it.

Even the aftermarket banks sidewinder turbo kits sold bY banks, they come with the exhaust manifold, and I think it's a 3" kit?

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
LQ4 6L LS here and 2.5" sound great! :)

Attachments

• _SLY6349.jpg
    _SLY6349.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 80

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Wow. That's very clean!
Tu lentrepose dans un garage lhivers?

Yeah 2.5 is what I'm thinking.
Do you know if I'll get pulled over in quebec for straight piping? Noise regulations?
Coz the harleys that drive by are insanely loud. Same with a few classic cars I see drive by now that summers here and all the classic car guys are taking their toys out for a shakedown

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you don't drive it much and high speed drone won't drive you crazy I would cut it all off before the mufflers and just put turndowns and hangers if you need them to keep the pipe still. It will free flow more and be cheaper and you will be done with it. You probably have a lot more pipe that is rusted if that side is.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Oh I'm sure thats the case. The muffler itself looks pretty nasty! I like the idea of a single exhaust pipe for the engine to get rid of that tss tss tss sound at idle.
Again this certainly isn't a "need", but more of a "want".
The turndowns sound like an option though

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
It may be coming close to exhaust time for me for the Jimmy. Right now i'm down to just the manifolds. I intend to replace them OEM and wanted opinions on the best Blazer exhaust setups from there. Thanks guys, Merry Christmas.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Straight pipe 6.2s sound like crap. I've done it before and had to buy a muffler. I think it was a flo pro still had some rumble but its tough to make a 6.2 6.5 sound good exhaust wise at idle cause the classic sound of them over power it.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
I forgot to answer, so one of my tail pipes was hanging down, so had to cut it off then the exhaust hanger on the other side was hanging down and my muffler was dragging.
So... I straight piped, it sounds good. Matter of opinion I guess, that being said, the drone I can definitely see being annoying on long drives. But I noticed it definitely seems tonget to 60mph, not quicker but, easier? If that makes sense. I never really timed the 0 to 60 so maybe it is quicker. I dunno. But I definitely notice pros n cons. I also got rid of the air intake muffler and used thst corrugated eavetrough pipe from home depot, ghetto cold air intake (there's a YouTube video somewhere with a guy doing that, got the idea from him)

Anyway, less restriction and improved air flow in n out of the engine does make a noticeable difference.

Cheers guys