Evap box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So I have slowly been fixing up my 85 c20. After getting it running smoothly I notice the heat isn't blowing out the vents very strong. Well my evap box (ac truck) is broke on the bottom and allowing most the my air to escape. I'm not worried about having ac so if I eliminate it I wouldn't be upset. Problem is I can't find anything to fix this online. Do you guys know were I can either get a new one or a ac delete kit but still have heat?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How bad is it broke? It's just plastic right? Find a piece of plastic, plexiglass, tin, even if it's a beer can, and duct tape it over the crack or break. Sounds redneck, BUT, that's really what DUCT tape is for, taping and sealing Air Ducts. It's resitant to heat, cool and moisture.

If chaning boxes, may as well go with another AC box unless you plan on changing all he stuff on the front of the firewall too and then you'd have to redrill hose openings and all that. Prolly eaiser just to replace the whole air exchanger and go back with the AC unit that's currently in it. JMO.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
its a decent amount and I don't think a beer can will cover it. It seems to be a plastic/fiberglass mix. If I can purchase a ac delete or new box that would be best. But I've used my fair share of duct tape and could probably get by for a while...haha

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Duct tape falls in that category with fat chicks and mopeds. It'll work ok but don't let your friends see it.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Duct tape falls in that category with fat chicks and mopeds. It'll work ok but don't let your friends see it.

haha exactly, hell I'd ride a moped!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As high as gas prices are, I will too, but I'll damn sure have a full helment and dark tinted goggles on. Still can't do the fat girl though. I did try once but nooo, had to back out on that deal.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The repair will probably be easier to make if you remove the inboard cover (and the evap coil along with it):

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metalmechanic