EP381 Fuel Pump Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phantom 309

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Has anyone done this upgrade on a NON Vortec TBI Engine? Does the higher PSI cause any problems with a non modified engine?

I have an 87 TBI 5.7 and picked up a couple of these since my old factory ones had sat for about 20 years without being ran. When I started to put one in last night, I found that the outlet on the pump uses a slightly smaller fuel line than the metal line on the assembly that it connects to. Has anyone ran into that? Did you just buy the larger line and clamp in down tighter to the pump?

Thanks for any info!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can't say about the actual fitment.

But I can say this. A lot of people say that there will be an excess of fuel flow that will heat up the fuel. A very smart fella once explained to me why this is not true, but it's technical stuff that my feeble mind could not retain, lol. But he assured me that the extra volume of fuel would not hurt anything at all (this was regarding a TPI pump being used in a TBI application). There's a couple members here that know of the guy as well that could vouch for his incredible knowledge.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’ve actually read that to be an upgrade over a stock tbi pump, but I myself don’t know.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Been running it for over a year on my stock tbi. Once in a while my injectors would stick open running very rich, but it stopped doing that 4-5 months ago. I would recommend external regulator

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
On the performance side, the motor actually did appear to pick up some power, but it might have been just a bit richer. Mpg did not really change any

Phantom 309

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Been running it for over a year on my stock tbi. Once in a while my injectors would stick open running very rich, but it stopped doing that 4-5 months ago. I would recommend external regulator

Did you have any problems with the fitment of yours? Was the outlet on the pump the same size as the hard line in assembly?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Did you have any problems with the fitment of yours? Was the outlet on the pump the same size as the hard line in assembly?
I bought correct pickup filter piece for it, otherwise it fit right in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB